IGNORED

Age-Old Battle! 240Z vs. 280Z

Pennyman

Hey folks! It's time to open up that wound again! We all know there's a little bit of tension between the 240z guys and the 280z guys (At least I have a little) about the differences in our cars.

I wanna know why you think each car, 240z or 280z, is better than the other, and your reasoning behind it. No cheapo answers like, "The 240z is better because it's the original." We've heard that one enough, tell me YOUR reasoning behind your argument, even if it's simple.

I think the 240z is an awesome sports car, and it has its place in history as a car built out of need, but the 280z was ALSO born out of necessity: to stay powerfull in the face of a gas and safety crisis.

As a result, I think it made it a better car in some ways than the 240z. For example, its frame rails are thicker as is the metal, making it stiffer car in general (heavier as well, yes).

Not to mention the fuel injection. The 240z had 150hp stock with a 9-to-1 compression ratio. The 280z not only overcame its 8.3-to-1 ratio by gaining enough horses to reach 149 (rated at 170 at the engine) but GAINED 15 LB/FT of torque over the 240z! (check zhome for the specs) I think this is augmented by the lower redline, making the power more accessible.

This is my view of a couple facts that have been overlooked when considering the 280z compared to the 240z. I LOVE both cars though, so don't worry, I'm not bashing! This thread was partly born out of envy of the 240z's out there!

I love the 240z because its lighter , not as common and doesn't have the larger bumpers. Besides I like the simple aspect of the 240z , just your basic motor , light car and lots of fun.

I agree totally. I haven't found my Z yet, but I'd say that chances are better than 90% that it will be a 240.

According to Zhome, the 240z pulled between .72 and .78g's on the skidpad, while the 280z pulled about .72. that's 6/100ths of a g difference. I guess you're still right, but the gap is not large. That is, if we're talking stock form.

According to Zhome, the 240z pulled between .72 and .78g's on the skidpad, while the 280z pulled about .72. that's 6/100ths of a g difference. I guess you're still right, but the gap is not large. That is, if we're talking stock form.

There's a lot more to handling than just the skidpad numbers. Lighter car is crisper and more responsive. Skidpad can't tell that.