IGNORED

Age-Old Battle! 240Z vs. 280Z

Pennyman

OK let me change my wording. I believe the 240Z and 280Z have the same length shock and the same length strut housing in front. They also have the same length spring within .25" so I don't think the amount of travel is significantly different between the two in the front. I looked through the album archives and I could not find a side by side comparison of the two. I know the 280 has larger strut tubes (OD and ID) and that the rear struts are taller, but the front are the same IIRC.

I don't get your point about "holding the shock beside its mounting location." The strut extends all the way when the suspension is out of the car, right? I mean the spring is still compressed a bit, but it can't extend any further because the strut insert is topped out. So it physically can't extend any further. And I know you can bottom the front struts from personal experience. So where is this shortcoming in the travel again? I'm sorry to perseverate on this, but I still just don't understand what you perceive the difference to be.

People section struts because the Z has a limited amount of travel (about 5" at the strut itself) and when you lower a Z more than about 2" you lose enough of the available bump travel that it becomes a problem. The 280Z is identically affected by this problem in front since the inserts and the strut housings are the same length. Maybe you are saying that the 240Z sags more than a 280Z, meaning that the strut with the weight of the vehicle on it sits in a position that is further through the travel when just sitting at rest. I don't think this is correct though. If you have observed this personally, my guess is that what you really saw was a 240 with worn out springs.

I posted the very picture I am referenced, but now I can't find it either.

Over the next couple of weeks, I will get a 280 strut and put it next to my 240 strut, remove the shocks, and show you what I am talking about, I recently traded a set of 280 struts for 240 struts with another member here, and I saw the differences at that time. I still have the 240 struts, and the springs are not worn out.

Will

Found one: http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=97816&highlight=strut+differences

Looks to me like the strut tubes are the same height, but the spring perches are mounted differently, and the isolator hat is taller on the 280.

The guy says he swapped in the complete 280 strut and the front end of his 240 sat too high, so he swapped out the isolators and then it was lower. He wanted it lower than that so he bought 240 springs and strut inserts and put them in the 240 strut housing and it was lower still.

So it kind of helps with our argument but kind of doesn't. I think it is pretty clear though just from looking at the pictures that the struts are very close to the same length and the housings are very close to the same length. I would venture a guess to say that this guy didn't need to buy new struts, could have used the 280 struts in the 240 housings with no issues. The only thing left is the spring perches and spring rates. It's clear that switching to the Koni 240 springs lowered his car, but it's not clear to me why. In looking at the picture it appears that the 240 spring perch is welded higher on the strut tube, which makes me think softer springs and more sag is the reason the car was lowered.

Agree?

That's perfectly alright. I realize I kinda made a mistake by bringing up this topic again, when it already had been covered in another thread.

I always wondered about marketing some sort of conversion kit to modify the front end of a 280z to turn it into a 240z-by-looks. You know, small bumpers, relocated turn signals, new tails, smaller front valence, etc. That way you'd shed weight AND be left with a "240z-looking" car with an L28 already installed!

Just a daydream i had...

240z!! The nostalgic feeling is what I want.. i dont own one, my bro had a 280z when i was a kid.. but I want the car with the most history..

And JDM 240zg is pure sexiness.. esp the one piece rear lights

you360ss-img600x450-1123332642240z01.jpg

you360ss-img600x450-1123332656240z02.jpg

fire_doragon3-img600x450-1123252440dscf0425.jpg

fire_doragon3-img600x450-1123252459dscf0426.jpg

but as far as "Buying a Z" in todays age.. 280z would be far cheaper and possibly alot of em are better condition, I see 280zs in teh junk yard with no rust.. the 240zs are another story.

That's perfectly alright. I realize I kinda made a mistake by bringing up this topic again, when it already had been covered in another thread.

I always wondered about marketing some sort of conversion kit to modify the front end of a 280z to turn it into a 240z-by-looks. You know, small bumpers, relocated turn signals, new tails, smaller front valence, etc. That way you'd shed weight AND be left with a "240z-looking" car with an L28 already installed!

All you need is a 240Z parts car to pull the pieces from!

Will

<<2222222228888888880000000000. Fuel injection all the way I don't like the 240's because everyone has one. Can someone tell me if this is good. I found out that the head on my 280z is a N42??????>>

???

Everyone has one? Like in who? If I ever do see an S30 out on the road, more than likely it's a 280z looking like it's near the end of its life.

So in NM if I went there, everyone drives 240z's....

Odd because they made so many more 280's....

I would rather have the lighter car. Sure, everyone swaps out the motor, for either the L28 or some Chevy V8, but I love the good ol' L24. The serial numbers match on the body and the motor, and I'm very happy of that. 240Z started it all, its a gorgeous car, and it will never go out of style. Even though my 240Z looks like a retarded kid took a chainsaw to it, I know after I finish the body work and get it painted it'll be stellar. I wouldn't get that same feeling out of a 280Z, its just the bigger car, and I personally don't like that.

I'm gonna have to agree with my fellow Minnesotan Z-owner. First-gen Z's really are the beez-neez, regardless of specific model/installment.

Ideally, some day, I'd like to have both a 240 AND 280... with the former being my perfectly restored take-out-for-a-sunday-drive car, and the latter being my cool looking, modified daily driver.

I hate to state the obvious, but it really boils down to personal preferences and needs. There was hardly an afterthought to picking a 280 for me because at this stage in my life, I need a car that's not going to give me a ton of headaches, and having something with a carbuerator didn't seem like it quite fit the profile, so, fuel-injection is my path. :)

I think if we're really going to debate, we should debate about inter-generational things (like first-gen vs. second-gen) ... and we all know how that'll turn out... since the first generation PWNS... hands down... though... I have to admit, I'd like to find a 280ZX turbo some day... T-tops rule. :D