IGNORED

Car won't start???

Zwief280Z

I think what Gary (Beandip) and I were both saying is this: Don't dive into the "repair" so deep and so suddenly that you later find out it was a very minor fix. This is something that unfortunately has happened time and time again.

Bill's comments are correct....in a very general way. But since you've only posted 3 times, and all of them here in this topic, it's IMPOSSIBLE for us to know and remember that you work in a marina, and therefore tailor our advise to your background.

Lastly if in fact you "work at a local marina so just remmber im not totally dumb about troubleshooting engines", how is it you don't know how to check timing? Or that a trickle charger may not provide enough CURRENT to power your fuel pump?

I think you'll find that this site has some of the best mechanics around, and more than likely one of them will get you going again. However, mind-reading isn't one of our specialties, so don't get mad when we don't know your background.

2¢

Enrique

well i checked and replaced fuel filters and some bad fuel line i dont think its getting gas because i put some gas in a cyl. and it fires but wont stay running. nothing happened unnormally when it stopped running. all i did was shut it off and tried to start it after about 1 hour i dumped the gas by taking out the drain plug in the gas tank. it didnt look dirty just really old and varnishy. i checked the fuel pump and it dosent pump very good so im looking at replacing it with just a in-line plastic electric fuel pump. unless you have any better ideas. how do you clean the injectors? i can clean a carb in about 20 mins but injectors im stumped with. hey beandip i work at a local marina so just remmber im not totally dumb about troubleshooting engines but this early of injectors have me wondering

I dident say you were stupid ! I was just telling you that we need more info in able to help you . If the injecters were colgged , true the engine wouldent run . However all 6 at once ? Are you geting spark at the plugs ? Start there . If yes that eliminates ignition , to a point . I am not a injection mechanic I have two cars with injection and I don't work on either one. I dont think you can clean them your self . Some Members here would be a better sorce of information in this area. Check all fuses and fusable links first before buying a fuel pump . If you do go the pump route be sure and get one for an injected engine .

how much is that fuel pump suppose to pump. could i get away with replacing the metal fuel lines(there pretty rusty) with some high pressure rubber lines. ok i've been looking at the underbody in front or unibody it looks awful rusted would it be worth it to repair or to part out and sell the parts. i would like to keep the car but i looks like alot of work how much work did you guys have to put in your cars to make them look nice? and are 280z's fast enough for the 1/4 mile thanks ( sorry for misunderstanding your writing)

I think your're still looking beyond the potential problem. The fuel lines, fuel pump, fuel filter, suddenly all going bad from one drive? Look at the relays I mention earlier. You won't really hear the fuel pump running when you turn the car on. It's at the rear of the car and doesn't make much noise. You'd have to be back there with a stetoscope (sp?) to hear it. I also wouldn't go replacing the metal lines as they always show a little rust on the outside. If you drove the car home and it ran normally then, which I'm assuming since you really haven't told us how it ran before it stopped, I just can't see all the things you're checking going bad all at once. Again, first things to check--ignition relay, fuel pump relay 1, fuel pump relay 2, electrical part of ignition switch. If those are okay then move on to non electrical parts of the EFI system.

how would i check the fuel pump relays? where are they located i'm not to familer with z's because didnt pump when i checked it still on the car( i had some one turn it over and i was underneath looking at the unhooked fuel line going from pump to injectons) however after i took it off and hooked it up to power it ran.it didnt pump all that good however. i'm use to water impeller pumps in outboards with the rubber impeller that always goes bad if there is somthing clogged in the pick up line is the fuel pump anything like that. something rubber that can be burnt up so it wouldnt pump that good. thats why im stuck on the fuel pump i want to get one problem solved at a time. would a plain electric fuel pump with the right hose fittings work on this injecton i have priced them out at a local car parts store and there around 40 dollors or should i looked for a used pump off a z and how much would that run.

No, they dont get air locked. And there is no need to bleed them since the system is self priming. When you say 'inline fuel filter' do you mean the fuel damper? Thats not a filter. It's there to supress the pulsation in the fuel flow. The only filter back there is the small screen in the fuel pump outlet.

If you blow though one side you should get resistance, blow through the other side and air should flow freely. It's metal with no glass. Look at the attachment. If someone replaced the damper with a filter, I would put a damper back in it's place. People have been known to add an additional fuel filter by the tank along with the damper. I personally don't think you need one back there (a filter).

post-3797-14150795804623_thumb.jpg