IGNORED

240K on Ebay...

Alfadog

The only thing you'll probably have to get will be the spigot bushing that slips into the end of the crankshaft, apparently you don't HAVE to use it but I got one anyway, just to be sure.

I hear if you dont use one you will destroy your big end bearings and have to rebuild the engine. If you didnt really need one, it wouldn't be there in the first place. Nissan would have left it out to save money. So make sure you put it in. I'd rather spend $$ on a bearing now, rather that spend $$$$ rebuilding an engine later.

Like 440k says though, unless you're wanting to keep your auto for sentimental reasons, slip it back into the sedan and then sell the sedan off to try an re-coup the money spent.

Put the auto in the sedan, then stick the whole car in the garage, or shed for spares or a future project. When you have time and money and dont want to drive the GT-R rep daily. $500 for the car isnt too much in the long run. But trying to find K parts or a whole car in the future could be difficult.

Like this maybe

057291.jpg

057301.jpg

Is this a common problem specifically with the K boxes by any chance?
I'm led to believe it's fairly common.

The fixes range from something as simple as tightening the nut on the output shaft, to replacing the 5th gear dog, to a total rebuild.

I had a K box in my 1600, and after unsuccessfully trying to fix it twice, I just learnt to drive with my knee under the gear stick to hold it in 5th (dodgy brothers). I got worried when the box stopped doing it all of its own accord.

ChrisA - yep, they're IRS. Just one of the many reasons we love them so :love:

Oooo. That black one is seriously sexy

Damn that black one is sexy, that's what you're going to do Tom, RIGHT? They can look seriously tough. I would love to keep both and restore that one up too, you make a good point Craig - I was thinking about this last night. Your plan sounds the way to approach it I think. I'm watching that 1000 Coupe too - isn't it cool!

And you've got a good point Ian - RUST are all Datsuns' worst enemy!!! This one certainly is fairly rough. I'll be checking all over the usual places for bad rust (is there any other kind!).

this may be by far the stupidest question ever asked on this site... but i need to know... were 240k's imported into the US? ive never seen anyone in the US even own one, and part 2 is how the hell could i get my hands on one!

this may be by far the stupidest question ever asked on this site... but i need to know... were 240k's imported into the US? ive never seen anyone in the US even own one, and part 2 is how the hell could i get my hands on one!

Not a stupid question at all. Had a guy over on Nissan Froums that thought his 1981 200SX was rare! Then he wanted to argue with me when I set him straight. They (240K) were never imported here but I have seen a few that guys have brought over here. There's a really nice silver one that makes most of the SoCal Datsun shows. And as for part 2? Well, as the old saying goes, 'all it takes is money'.