IGNORED

Your First car.

Fun_in_my_z

My first car was a ‘57 Chevy 4 door Biscane I bought when I was 15 in Florida for $300 from a guy I knew who used it to drag race. He dropped a 283 four barrel in it, welded the spider gear so it always turned both rear wheels, and cut off the exhaust pipes about a foot down from the manifold, so it was REALLY loud when I got it. Oh, and he relocated the gear shift from the column to the floor. When I bought it, it was basically all there and original inside and out except for the previous mods. After I installed an exhaust system, it was a fun car, but not very reliable. The welded spider gears caused the tires to chew themselves up going around corners and, if you didn’t do it just right, would cause the rear u-joint on the drive shaft to break while trying to peel rubber. I learned to carry spares and a couple of wrenches in the trunk at all times. I had the car for about 8 months before I had to give it up due to the fact I lost my job and couldn’t make the payments anymore.

Two cars I wished I still had are the ‘62 MG Midget and ‘68 Mustang 2+2 (fastback) I owned. The Midget had a high performance 850 cc 4 cylinder engine and a racing clutch. That thing would twist rear axles off if I didn’t break the tires loose taking off from a standing stop while trying to burn rubber. And everything they say about Lucas electrics being the “Prince of Darkness” is true. It seemed like I was always fixing something in the electrical system on that car. But it had a lot of character and was fun to drive. Kind of like a go kart with a body. The Mustang was my pride and joy. I actually gave it to a girl I lived with when I bought a ‘73 Pontiac Firebird Esprit because she previously sold her Chevy Nova to pay for a transmission and tires for the Mustang.

My first was a 73 240z that I bought for $1900.00, the summer I graduated high school. I worked on her for the next 3 months then shipped off to bootcamp. She was my baby for the next 7 years, until I sold her. Wouldn't you know it, less than 2 years later I saw her on the side of the freeway, after an accident. The whole front end was crushed. The guy was goofing with the radio and never saw the SUV in front of him which was stopped for traffic. Almost broke my heart. :cry:

Allen

First car was a 65 Ford Custom 4-door that I bought 'cause it had a huge trunk to carry our band stuff in. Stalled out on the way home from the dealer. After a once over by a trusted mechanic, found out I needed a new alternator and the e-brake was frozen, so the brakes were locked on. This was a car that supposedly had passed a NYS inspection. Had it for 18 mos. and put in a tranny, 2 carbs and 8 out of 16 lifters. In '72 went to my local Datsun dealer and got a new 1200 coupe. Ran her for 14 yrs. Best car I ever owned. Want another one.

First car i bought myself...1987 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera GT...man that thing was fast. I got it then after 2 months of driving the transmission just stopped shifting. (worst part is when i bought it i changed the trans fluid and filter and put the new gasket in and then put in a trans conditioner to seal any leaks.) Then i moved on to my brothers 92 jimmy. Fun truck..went mudding and got it stuck in 4wd. Then moved to the 88 acura. Liked this car till it caught on fire because the cat. converter was clogged. Scared the wizz out of me. Then i was about to buy a 86 300z but then i decided to get the 82 280 zxt 2+2 that my friend was selling so he could get his third z car...(poor kid wrecked his 280 zx that was in pretty good condition) Now me and him are gonna be one of the only few z owners in sussex county