IGNORED

Your First car.

Fun_in_my_z

In 1971 my first car was a 1963 Mini Minor - 850cc front wheel drive, quite unsuited to Australian bush conditions. Spent more on repairs than I paid for the car.

Followed shortly after by a Volkswagon beetle. Laugh all the louder if you think about trying to pick out a kangaroo on the edge of the road with a 6 volt electrical system.

Finally in 1975 bought a second hand P610 then two years later bought my only ever new car a P610 off the showroom floor. Sold the new car six months later so that I could buy a P510 rally car which I ran for 9 years (one new shell in the middle of that period).

A succession of Holden and Ford Panel Vans and wagons so I could tow the rally car, cart my paddle craft around etc. From 1991 I spent three years without wheels at all where I rode a push bike everywhere before I got a small Toyota wagon which I still have today - 467,000 kms on the clock.

A return to sanity in the past year and half now that I also have two 260Z 2+2's. Oh it is so good to be back in the world of the living.

Regards

Dave

First car is my Zed. i've had it for just over 1 year now, and i now own it (no more debt to dad) and that was finalised when dad had the car ownership transfered to me on my birthday 2 weeks ago. Its a 1977 english 2 seater and has been prepared for the historic regularity class, which means it has almost every performance modification done except for roll cage and a differant motor (has the l28 although 3.1 litre bore coming next rebuild :) The car is in very reasonable condition considering these things came "out of the factory with rust" as my dad says, with a lot of anti rust to be found everywhere and a lot of rust work hacing been done by the previous owner.

This is a great car that my dad and i use for motorsport and current plans are to put a cage in the car and to one day do a complete strip, rust cut and repaint. i don't ever plan on selling this car and ultimately i'd like to have a concourse winner (240hoke is a great inspiration), although it does mean i am going to need something a little more practicle to drive to Uni (college) next year.

Tom.

Hmmm first cars ey?

My first car was probably the least respectable car mentioned here, a 1975 Renault 12 wagon, given to me for free :D . Internally it was pretty good, in fact almost pristine at time of purchase, however rust had taken an unrelenting grasp on the body and there were chasms of rust EVERYWHERE. One particular location had a hole as big as my fist...there were many more bordering on that size.

The little 1.4 pushrod 4 was pretty gutless, although mine [and i think all] Renault 12 was equipped with a single downdraft webber which funnily provided keener throttle response than my dad's camry. I managed to almost fry the clutch, I lost second gear completely, and after a succession of handbrake manouvers, the rear drums had enough and began to spew brake fluid out at an alarming rate...I had to top it up every day i think...

A wrecker ended up paying my $80 for it, upon the purchase of my c110...

I bought a 1959 Triumph TR3 when I was sixteen. It didn't have any brakes and I paid $50 for it. Sold it for $50 with working brakes about six months later and bought a 1965 VW bug which I had until my senior year in high school. My parents never knew about the Triumph. My mother wouldn't allow me to have a sports car. "No kid of mine is going to wrap himself around a tree in a sports car" was my mother's favorite line. By the time I was eighteen, I had an MG midget which I took to SCCA driver's school.

Good idea Bill.

Great minds do think alike. Don't sell yourself short mate.

First car huh ????

When I was about 17, (I'm now nearly 62 .... you work it out), I bought an old Vanguard. Had it about two months and the engine siezed up solid. Sold it to the wrecker for 10 pounds.

Went without a car till I married in '67. An old Morris Major. Had the bad habit of locking up in second gear due to the gear column turning when changing up out of first.

Won't list ALL my cars, take to long but the most memorable was my first NEW car, a '76 KB Chrysler Centura with the same 6 cyl. Hemi motor as the bigger chryslers, coupled to a genuine Borg Warner Auto transmission. She could FLY man, FLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Rick.

:devious: :devious:

First car that I owned myself? 79 Datsun 310GX

First car that I drove? 1975 Buick Lesabre 2 Door

I'm with you Rick, its a long list. Most memorable? 1971 240Z...God I miss that car sometimes. :cry:

Best rental car that I flogged? Chrysler 300M...YeeHaw!!

Chris

My first car was a 1973 Mustang Mach 1. Bright yellow, tan interior, built 351 Cleveland, C6 tranny with a shift kit, 4:11 rear end and a few other goodies that were popular for 70's cars. Prevelent to rust in the same areas as our Z cars. This was my Friday nite bracket racer at Sunshine Dragstrip.

2nd car was a 1978 Trans Am. OK car.

Sold the T/A in 1983 for a 1978 280Z that I was the second owner of. I've had a Z in my life ever since.

Vicky

My first car was my 1972 240Z. Purchased in 1985 for $2450 with 140,000 miles. Drove for 5 years in college and then let it sit virtually without cranking for about 12 years. Fortunately most of that time was in my semi climate-controlled garage. Now refreshed for a whole lot more money than the original purchase price and has about 190,000 miles. My daily driver is a 1990 240SX that I bought new. The only 2 cars I've owned in 20+ years if you don't count my wife's cars.

First car? It was an eaeliy 60's corvair. Not even sure of the exact year as I only had it about 2 months before it self destructed. It was one of those corvairs that when you filled the gas tank you also filled the crank case. I think it got more mpg of gas than it did oil. Cost me $50, tax, tag and title transfer. Not even sure if I got the title before it was dead on the side of the road. No fond memories!!!!

My First car was a 1972 240z.

Got it in my last year of highschool, from a wreckers. Spent time stripping it to bare metal, welding up the rust, and repained it, fixed the interior and got it registered. All while I should have been studying.

Also had a Falcon xy wagon and then a '77 Celica (mustang style) liftback, while I was working on the 240z, and after it was finished. Insurance on the Z was a killer, so I didnt drive it much, and left it registered but un-insured, untill a few years later when I started driving it (insurace got cheaper as I got older), and took the Celica off the road and repainted it, and sold it. Sold the Z a few years later, had a string of other cars, VK Berlina, 808 coupe (bought for $15), VH Commodore, TX-3 4wd turbo, VH commodore wagon, honda accord.

Then the Z bug got me again, so I had to get another 240Z.

My first z:

post-1278-14150795727248_thumb.jpg