IGNORED

Cold Air Intake--NOT a "fifteen minute install"

KDMatt

Okay but it sits awfully close to the gas tank. Were you able to get the muffler to fit inside the heatshield with it mounted horizontally? I have a Dynomax Super Turbo with basically the same configuration as your Flowmaster. It's mounted vertically and it fits fine, it's inside the heatshield and away from the gas tank. That's all I meant by 'fitting better'.

post-3797-14150795744045_thumb.jpg

Okay but it sits awfully close to the gas tank. Were you able to get the muffler to fit inside the heatshield with it mounted horizontally? I have a Dynomax Super Turbo with basically the same configuration as your Flowmaster. It's mounted vertically and it fits fine, it's inside the heatshield and away from the gas tank. That's all I meant by 'fitting better'.

Actually, now that you mention it there is no heat shield. I'm guessing thats not a good thing. yours does look pretty good though, I just got a muffler with the input and output set for horizontal placement.

Steven-

What kind of tip is on that muffler? Ever look into get a dual tip?

I bought that tip 8 years ago from Summit Racing. Never considered a dual tip. Seems like it would end up real close to the bumper end if you mean horizontally. I doubt if a vertically mounted dual tip would work either since the tip exits the lowest point of the muffler.

I've seen a few 280Zs with the correct(stock) muffler that has two tips already on it. The tips bend down slightly, then horizontal on the end. Wish I had my camera then. I don't think dual tips would be too close to the end- I'd have to try it to see. Instead I think dual vertical tips might be too low and scrape. Did you know the VB sells/used to sell a Monza setup with vertical tips?

It's just too bad the gas tank is so close to the rear valence that you can't get the ZX-style dual exhaust setup in there. Unless the other side is a dummy setup.

I think in any case, I'd like to use resonator tips.

Anyway, back on topic.

I just recieved the "cold-air induction" kit from MSA. Very high quality piece, except for one thing:

The bracket welded to the intake pipe is positioned 1/2" from where a pre-existing airbox bolt hole is, and I called MSA this morning, and they said I had to drill a hole in my radiator support to mount it!

Now, it would seem to me that a better design from an engineering standpoint would be to weld the bracket in such a way so it LINES UP with a pre-existing threaded hole!

How frustrating. I'm not going to drill unneeded holes in my car. I'm going to a muffler shop tomorrow to ask for a 90 degree bend and I'll make a proper one myself.

I try to avoid drilling holes in a car, especially one that's prone to rust. The new hole is like a rust spot that's eaten through the metal, only you helped it 100 % of the way through, and now it's just going to spread sideways.

I wo7uld recommend that you measure the angle you need for the elbow, because I think it's not really 90 degrees. Grab some cardboard and make a template.

Didn't even have to measure it, The MSA unit is OBVIOUSLY 90 degrees, but I'll try to expand on the design and make it better.

That's the problem with the MSA elbow. It's 90 degrees, and it was too short to connect to the AFM on my car. I think you'll want an elbow less than 90 degrees, so the filter is pointing away from the radiator support slightly, for clearance. You might even make the two ends a little longer, to put the filter farther away and even point it downward where the air is coming in through the grille.

that's why you should always make a template before fabricating any parts. Besides, if it works, you can make one for ME. LOL

So I measured the radius on the MSA bend, and it's a 4" radius, with 1 1/2" straight tubing on the AFM end and 5' of straight-ness on the filter side. The tubing is 2 1/2" diameter.

So an angle a little less than 90 degrees might be ideal.

I also thought, if you omit the straight section near the filter (essencially making it a simple bend with no straight section) you effectively move the filter out of the main moving airflow, and behind the left turn signal housing, protecting it from winter rain which would be in the airstream, but still in an area of "cold" air. what do you think, pros and cons?