IGNORED

240Z with a Sunroof

You WANT a sunroof ??????????????

Heck, man, ...you can have mine if you you pay for the work. It might be o.k. for someone whose bum's closer to the ground than mine is. I absolutely HATE bumpy roads 'cause I'm forever bumping my head. Having a sliding sunroof lowers the ceiling by about three inches.

Rick.

:devious: :devious:

I have seen quite a few factory retract sunroofs put into various cars, and they look original...quite common for auto body guys. Just saw my buddie's 510 the other day, has a 88 prelude sunroof in it...looks factory ...has the inner liner and everything...all electric.

If the roof was flat, it'd be one thing, but I have to agree with Beandip, sunroofs in an S30 look real bad. Glad I don't have one in my 240. Wouldn't have bought it if it had had one.

How can you say all sunroofs leak. Unless you've been in every early Z that has one. Mine happens to have a sunroof and it has never leaked. I bought the car that way so it doesn't bother me one way or the other.

My guess is if you roll a Z with or without a sunroof, your going to get the same result. A flattened roof. So structual intregity only goes as far as the serverity of the accident.

I was once in a rollover accident in an Acura Integra. Rolled four plus times (lost track after the fourth) and it had a sunroof in it. It played no part on the outcome of the accident. The roof held and did not compress. I'm alive today because of a soundly engineered car, not because it did or didn't have a sunroof. Oh, and I was wearing my seatbelt.

The Scarab has a sunroof made by "Z-Lid". Remember that company. The literature is so cool, wicked 70's stuff. I'll have to take a picture of the plaque that's installed infront of the Z-Lid inside. It has far out 70's writing and design.

Vicky

RAZ: I think you misunderstood me:

all Z cars with sunroofs that I've seen have leaked. Whether I've seen it from rust spots, mold spots in the liner, or heard complaints from the owners, they leak. My friend David bought a Z with a sunroof. We wound up cutting the roof off a parts car we got and he had the roof skin grafted in place of the sunroof top to convert the car back to solid hull

As far as rigidity, I am not implying crash protection. I'm talking weaker structure and looser chassis that will flex more on turns than a non-modified one.

Here's the Z I'm talking about with rhe grafted roof:

PICT0043.sized.jpg

PICT0042.sized.jpg

He also had the drip rails shaved

I also have a spare roof that I'm someday thinling of replacing on my 280 only because I have a V8 in it. The odd thing is, my sunroof doesn't look all that great as far as the finish look goes. The seal looks like it should leak, but I have been in some heavy rain storms, the car sits outside most of the time and not one leak. My guess is this sunroof has been on the car at least 10 years.

I will say that it is very functional for my application. It's one more area for the hot air to vent.

Also, if you want to build up rigidity in the car because of the sunroof, you can always do what the guys do when they make a convertible out of an early Z. Weld in supports between the rear strut towers. But heck, just having front and rear strut tower braces will help a lot.

• 7 years later...

I have a 260 with a Z-lid sunroof. I purchased this car new, it has 55,000 miles on the clock. Everything works fine but the sunroof seal,molding is in need of replacement. I cannot tell for sure but it looks as if there maybe up to a combination of 3 seal to make this unit water tight. Is there anyone out there with experence in replacing the seals and where can I fine a web site with molding and beading?

Thanks

I know this is going to be a stupid question to most. Was there ever an option for a sun roof in the 1972 240Z's? Just wondering...because I have one...

- Ian