IGNORED

What do you think of this look?

bemmerguy714

This is the blue im talking about. This picture shows the origanal blue i found under the upholstary of the door. Its kind of metallic. I like it alot. YOu can see that the color it looks like now near the bottom of the pic is really ugly. And for some reason, theres a little red in the old paint. I dont know where that came from.

DSC08107.JPG

Also does anyone know of a good paint shop place in the Costa Mesa, Ca area? Also for those of you who didnt paint it yourself how much did it cost? I would do it myself but i dont know what i'm doing, and have never done it before so i would'nt exactly be in a rush to try it (especially not on this car).

Interesting how an unpainted and painted front end can look so different.

Check the lines of this bumper:

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17886&page=1&pp=15

and the one at the beginning to this thread.

There is a difference, the style and location of the turn signal lights, but otherwise, they're the same air dam.

2¢

Enrique

Interesting how an unpainted and painted front end can look so different.

Check the lines of this bumper:

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17886&page=1&pp=15

and the one at the beginning to this thread.

There is a difference, the style and location of the turn signal lights, but otherwise, they're the same air dam.

2¢

Enrique

Yeah i saw it. i like it alot. I posted in that thread about a really nice z that had the air dam blended in, in the front. i was thinking of doing somthing similar but my dad didnt want too.

The airdam is a good look. However, it puts a flare of "modernism" to a classic car. It does this by hiding the bumper. Or, does it fit under the bumper? From the picture, it looks like it is hiding it.

Most new (modern) cars hide the bumper under bodywork. I believe this is why it has been called 'ricer'...

The air dam looks pretty good to me. Did you already purchase it? Does it fit under the bumper or over it?

Personally, I like the blended bumper look. Done well, it looks great.

Don't know if the original bumnper goes on beneath, or if you lose the bumper completely. (I've never installed one.) Don't know that I would want to lose ALL of the bumper's protection. It's not much, but it's SOMETHING....

Edit:

Forgot to mention, make sure you FIT both of those pieces perfectly before you send it off to get painted. If you're doing the work is one thing, but if you're sending the part off to be painted, you're counting on the painter using flex agent (a paint softener) in order for you to be able to mount it afterwards.

The main problem in not fitting it BEFORE you send it off to paint, is that you will not know WHERE and IF it flexes. Then adjusting it to the car can be a real nightmare. (I believe there's another post on the subject recently, sorry no answers for him.)

E

The airdam is a good look. However, it puts a flare of "modernism" to a classic car. It does this by hiding the bumper. Or, does it fit under the bumper? From the picture, it looks like it is hiding it.

Most new (modern) cars hide the bumper under bodywork. I believe this is why it has been called 'ricer'...

The air dam looks pretty good to me. Did you already purchase it? Does it fit under the bumper or over it?

thanks. yea when i was at msa purcacing the bumper, and lights that fit in there they told me i can mount it on the bumper if i wanted to. I dont think i'm going to thou. I want to keep the weight as low as i can. Plus it was pretty messed up in the front when i got it.

thanks for the info EScanlon, i was going to just give the guy the bumper and wing to mount while painting. The only reason i didnt put it on my self is that the front had been hit (not serious maybe 30mph) so the hood is weird, bumper was bent real good and the grill is dinged up. Overall it needs some front end work (straighing and stuff). So i dont know. I think i will end up putting it up myself after hearing that. THANKS!

Personally, I like it a lot, so much that its in my garage right now. Its got a much smaller 'bumper' bar than the older MSA front that was on my old car. My 240 is bright green with black 240z stripes. I am painting it satin black, since I don't want a complete repaint and have no idea of the paint code. And yes, I'm using those driving lights too, with the embedded turn signal rings. Gonna replace the blue bulb with amber though.

Word of caution--

You will eventually 'tap' something with the front end...I can almost guarantee it...you heard it here first--if you don't use your metal bumper under the air dam, its gonna get screwed up.

I am a meticulous driver, but I've been tapped by people in parking lots, I've tapped someone in the line to put mail in the mailbox at the PO...it happens...with the stock front bumper on my 240, it hasn't caused any damage.

Just a word of caution--you will damage it one day...if the bumper is underneath, it should imo be less for most small taps than if you didn't have it installed.

Word of caution--

You will eventually 'tap' something with the front end...I can almost guarantee it...you heard it here first--if you don't use your metal bumper under the air dam, its gonna get screwed up.

I am a meticulous driver, but I've been tapped by people in parking lots, I've tapped someone in the line to put mail in the mailbox at the PO...it happens...with the stock front bumper on my 240, it hasn't caused any damage.

Just a word of caution--you will damage it one day...if the bumper is underneath, it should imo be less for most small taps than if you didn't have it installed.

thanks for the warning. i'll be careful, or tink of something