IGNORED

How Close Are Our VIN #'s

Zrush

Vicky,

Thanks. I think he could add a link, but anything "automatic" would be difficult as he's told me.

Kurt, I am thinking it's build date, but you bring up a good point. Technically, this should be the "title" date -- many times manufacturers "build" cars early -- that is, an early 1972 car would have certainly been built in 1971, but the car is titled a 1972.

Don't know the answer there, unless someone identified the car's year, some cases I estimated based on the sequential order.

Ok, just a quick analysis:

Other than 26th-Z (who has 00026 and 00027), I tried to figure out who had the closest Z's AND how far apart they are geographically (for no other reason than it intrigued me).

The closest in VIN #'s was Arne (HLS30-012746) and red-eye (HLS30-012762) - 16 cars apart. Geographically, they are about 1600 miles apart (Oregon to New Mexico).

The next closest in VIN #'s was Zdreamer (HLS30-050713) and Fun in my Z (HLS30-050735), or 22 cars apart. Geographically, much closer at about 870 miles.

Next was GlennH (HLS30-017925) and rxsleeper (HLS30-017954), or 29 cars apart. I couldn't find a location for rxsleeper, so no geographic analysis.

The closest in VIN, but farthest apart geographically (at least from the first few I looked at) was deadflo (HLS30-020390) and 240ztt (HLS30-020425), or 35 cars apart. Geographically, they are 2700 miles apart (!) -- Washington to Maryland. I assumed that deadflo was in Washington State, not DC (which would of course negate my declaration), but I think that's quite interesting given the proximity of VINs to distance apart.

Yes, I have too much time on my hands!

The closest in VIN #'s was Arne (HLS30-012746) and red-eye (HLS30-012762) - 16 cars apart. Geographically, they are about 1600 miles apart (Oregon to New Mexico).
True, but it might be significant to note that while I have very little knowledge of my car's history, it did come with the original Service and Warranty booklet in the glovebox. So I know that it was originally sold to the first owner on January 7, 1971 in Great Falls, Montana. How does that mess with your data? Do we have any idea where redeye's was originally delivered?

That you know where it was originally sold is cool. I wish I could find that for my Z....
Total fluke deal. I got no owner's manual or anything like that, but after 35 years the Service and Warranty booklet was still there! Who knows why? The first owner's name was there too - I thought about contacting him just for fun, but when I Googled him one of the first hits was his obituary. RIP.