IGNORED

How Close Are Our VIN #'s

Zrush

I could be dead wrong but my best guess, the cars are built before the VIN is given to the car. So the car is not given a VIN the second it rolls off the line but at a later time. Our cars could have been built only weeks apart, they sit at the factory lot and get VIN's put on them by a the order they are gotten to not the order of production, then they are shipped to the place they are slated to go to.

To the best of my knowledge, the build date does not necessarily correspond to successive VINs. The car is supposedly given a VIN at the very begining of production and a build date later, after production. That was Alan's explanation. I concur. HLS30-00026 shows a November 1969 build date and HLS30-00027 shows an October build date. And just for kickers, the engine number in 26th is higher than the engine number in 27th. Following the production volume figures that Kats provided some time ago, both 26th and 27th were built in October, but that isn't what the door tag says. I wouldn't put a lot of emphasis on the dead accuracy of the build date.

I'll also comment again that the "titled" date - the date the car was registered - has nothing to do with the construction date of the car. I consider both of my cars 1969s, but 26th wasn't titled until May of 1970.