IGNORED

Looking for a RHS 240Z mirror?

ZSaint

I have a set of "bullet" mirrors for the Z. I really want a set of OEM mirrors for the car. I guess I will just find a set of used mirrors, break the glass out, disassemble, send them to the plater, get some mirrors built, assemble and put them on the car. Sounds like a simple task to me.

I know they build repro mirrors for things like A-body Mopars. Why not for Datsuns? No demand or?

as long as you aren't interested in stock (and the rh mirror on the lh side isn't stock and with the mirror attachment to the post not being centered it kinda looks tacky imo)....anyways if you aren't interested in stock, the black nissan mirrors like I have on my Z work real real well, they attach to the door's chrome in the front corner of the window, and are much larger, and the rh mirror is very usuable. Check out my gallery to see pictures. They are Nissan OEM mirrors, I think off of a 80s/90s sentra or something like that. Get them through MSA. They look good imo. They even say nissan in little letters on the plastic on the outside housing.

Hi Dave (everyone):

In this case, the problem with those non-stock mirrors is... If you have the stock mirror on the driver's side... now you have fill the holes in the door and repaint the door... then you have this problem with matching the color again...

Great mirrors if you think ahead and plan to to use them ... before you have your paint and body work done.

One alternative.. if you can find them... is to use the "Racing Mirrors" that the Datsun Dealers sold and which were included in the Datsun Rear Window Shade Kit. They fit the OEM mirror hole on the drivers door, then you have to drill matching holes in passengers door... but they look good, fit the period and you don't have paint matching problems... Of course finding a set is the hard part in that case...

If it ain't one thing... it's another...

Just my perspective...

Carl B.

Carl Beck

Clearwater, FL USA

http://ZHome.com

The attached pictures ar the "Racing Mirrors" that were sold by some dealers, and many other sources for use on 240Z's in the area where I live.

The black housings are metal, and pivot on the mounting arms. The mirror (glass) itself also pivots within[/i} the housing so that there are two places you can adjust for optimum viewing.

These appear on eBay occasionally and even in semi-bad condition are a bit pricey (by my definition). It took me 2 years to collect enough parts and pieces to rebuild two complete sets of them.

Here is a picture of them on my Blue 72. I was lucky, when I worked for the Datsun Dealer, I put a few sets of the Racing Mirrors away... Over the years I used them on several cars... Now I'm down to only one spare set left.

See: <a href=http://www.becksystems.com/72BeachMed.jpg>http://www.becksystems.com/72BeachMed.jpg</a>

I will say that these were cheap mirror sets to begin with.. as I recall they sold for something like $17.99 a set in 72. As such, they have a steel ball that rotates in an aluminum housing, and tension is supplied by a steel strap across the ball. Over the years the aluminum sockets wear.. and the mirror housing can get pretty floppy. I've now resorted to epoxy to set them in place... ;-(...

Carl S. ... you said; "...sold by the Dealers and many other sources".... I've never found a supplier other than the original Datsun Dealers that supplied these exact mirrors. I've seen lots close to the design and close to the size.. but still not the same as these. Did you find a exact match in the aftermarket?

thanks,

Carl B.

Carl Beck

Clearwater, FL USA

http://ZHome.com

Hi Carl:

Frankly, I never took a micrometer to them to compare, but the ones I bought from a local Speed/Wheel &Tire shop sometime back in the mid 70's appeared indistinguishable (to me) from the ones in the display case at Pierotti Datsun (now Nissan) in Fremont, CA that were priced higher than what I paid. They had all the same features (double adjustment, recessed pivot, etc) and seeemed IMO to be of the same size, though I cannot guarentee an exact mm for mm match, though if they aren't, they are VERY close to it.

The ones pictured in my previous post came from eBay and I haven't found any markings on them to indicate who manufactured them let alone who sold them.

EDIT:

Regarding your mention of the wear issue, I have some information on how to repair that, but cannot find it at the moment. Someone on the 240z.org mail list had a procedure that look like it would work very well and retain adjustability. When I find it, I will post or email you.

(snip)

I will say that these were cheap mirror sets to begin with.. as I recall they sold for something like $17.99 a set in 72. As such, they have a steel ball that rotates in an aluminum housing, and tension is supplied by a steel strap across the ball. Over the years the aluminum sockets wear.. and the mirror housing can get pretty floppy. I've now resorted to epoxy to set them in place... ;-(...

Carl B:

Here is a link to a web page that describes and illustrates what appears to me to be a most excellent repair for these mirrors.

George Cohen (a member of the 240z.org mail list) posted this link a year or two ago. (Right after I rebuilt one of my sets using a similar, but probably not as long lasting method.) When the time comes, I will use this method to do a longer term repair.

http://www.e-type-lovers.com/mirror.htm (George is also into E-Type Jags)

Good link Carl S. There is also a good article on repairing and re-skinning door panels. The fiberglassing method used on the door panels could also be used to repair and strengthen the spare tire cover!

Thanks again! :classic: