IGNORED

Last week, on my way to work...

why is it that some members here have such a hard time understanding why a Z would beat other rigs off the line? I have done it quite a bit, and even if it is the other driver sucking it up, I still have beat lots of other cars off the line, and that's with a mildly upgraded stock motor...

The Z is just fast off the line, we're not talking to 100 mph or 1/4...it is just fast off the line...if your Zed isn't, then its not setup correctly or tuned.

Bemmerguy, what are you basing your 'under estimation' on? If you don't know how fast they are, why are you even building one? The motor is why I have mine...they are a pretty good looking car on the outside too. But its the drivetrain for me...

Gotta love toasting guys who see old datsun and make the obvious assumptions. I've caught a few new V8s off guard. I calculated my 0-62mph time of 4.8 seconds with an open diff. More than adequate for dispensing with most cars, but by no means what I'd call fast.

My favourite is when its still an undecided thing if its on or not so you both take off reasonable pace and don't let the other guy get in front. Works perfectly as by the time they decide to give it $^!# I'm in boost range and booting it sees the old girl punching away from them.. hehehe.. godamn i hate my gearbox. :(

Dave

why is it that some members here have such a hard time understanding why a Z would beat other rigs off the line? I have done it quite a bit, and even if it is the other driver sucking it up, I still have beat lots of other cars off the line, and that's with a mildly upgraded stock motor...

The Z is just fast off the line, we're not talking to 100 mph or 1/4...it is just fast off the line...if your Zed isn't, then its not setup correctly or tuned.

Bemmerguy, what are you basing your 'under estimation' on? If you don't know how fast they are, why are you even building one? The motor is why I have mine...they are a pretty good looking car on the outside too. But its the drivetrain for me...

I under estimate 240z because i raced one in my 300e. My dad was in the 240z i was in the 300e. But i guess he wasnt driving it as hard as i thought. it pulled on me for a while in the begining but when i got in the 300e power area (3000-5000rpm) i caught up and it was over for him. the reason i am building one is to give it as a present to my father. I've never driven one but it sounds like fun. Plus they look REALLY NICE. Also like you said its a very good lookin car. The z i'm restoring is stock. i'm worring more about cosmetics right now. When you said "mildly tuned" what exactly is that in the engine? Because if just a few upgrades will make that much of a difrence i think i need to make some mods. To help me get a feel for how fast it is. Here is a list of cars i have driven. Tell me what this car would most feel like (i know all cars are diffrent but what is most like of these cars?).

1-1989 325i

2-1992 300e

3-1988 m3

4-1988 super eta 528e

5-1995 m5

6-1991 porache 911

7-1998? caddy el derado

thanks

Matt

Bemmerguy714,

My 1973 240Z has a Nissan Remanufactured 2.8L Long Block (stock compression), Schneider Performance Camshaft, Nissan Electronic Ignition, Motorsport 6-1 Headers (coated), 2 1/2" Exhaust with bullet muffler and Dynomax straight through muffler, rebuilt 1972 Carburetors. I also installed a 5-speed and 3.9 R200 differential from an 1983 280ZX.

Cheers,

Bemmerguy714,

My 1973 240Z has a Nissan Remanufactured 2.8L Long Block (stock compression), Schneider Performance Camshaft, Nissan Electronic Ignition, Motorsport 6-1 Headers (coated), 2 1/2" Exhaust with bullet muffler and Dynomax straight through muffler, rebuilt 1972 Carburetors. I also installed a 5-speed and 3.9 R200 differential from an 1983 280ZX.

Cheers,

wow, thats pretty crazy. 5 speed swap huh, i've been looking at what other people have done. I;ll look into that. do you know what kind of power r u putting to the wheels? have you dynoed it?i'm curious because i wan to start moding my 240z. anyway, Good kill story.

Works perfectly as by the time they decide to give it $^!# I'm in boost range and booting it sees the old girl punching away from them.. hehehe.. godamn i hate my gearbox. :(

Dave

Fix that gearbox if your back from the US? I'm working on my cars suspension as soon as my strut protective boots arrive from the states just ordered them last night. So i'll be installing my new Tokico's and new rear bushes etc.. Then I reakon we need to get a cruise happening for VicZcar so we can see just how fast she goes :):love:

bemmerguy714 - I've never dynoed my car. If you want info on the L28, 5-speed, 3.9 diff change you can look at the following link:

http://zhome.com/rnt/L28conversion/engine.html

If you want to see what's possible for a normally aspirated L28 in a streetable Z then take a look at the following link:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/566675/2

Jeff - It's good to hear from you. How's the SilverZ running?

Cheers,

Gav,

I haven't left yet! Thursday I'm heading over. And I think it'll be a while before the gearbox issue is sorted. I'm looking at putting a T56 behind it, to go with the R200 LSD. Take some pics for me if you do cruise before I get back. :)

Dave

• 3 weeks later...