IGNORED

Stolen Z!

I had full coverage, but they don't take into consideration that it was a decent quality classic car; they'll end up averaging purchase prices from the Auto Trader or something.

License Plate 4CVW749 and the VIN HLS30131212.

Just remember, you are paying the premiums for a reason. To fairly compensate you for the loss of YOUR property. It is not only being paid to make the insurance company rich!!! Consider whatever they offer you as a starting point in negotating a fair value for the car.

In 1987, my first Z (1973 240Z) caught fire and burned. This was after I had spent 7 years on a ground up restification. The inexperienced young female claims adjuster offered me $1,900. I told her that her offer was completely unacceptable and I demanded an in person meeting with her supervisor and his boss.

I brought to the meeting several pictures showing all angles and features of the car, a monster stack of receipts, and recent copies of Hemmings Motor News showing comparable cars for sale. Fortunately for me, the boss was a car guy who had just restored a '68 Camaro. He knew the value of what I had done to the car. After about an hour of negotiating, I walked out of there with a check for $6,700. It was short of the $10K I actually had into the car, but I am sure that I could not have gotten more than that if I had sold the car. I was bummed at the loss, but reasoanbly pleased with the settlement.

Moral of the story. The settlement is negotiable. The more you are prepared when you go in to meet with them, the more you will walk out with in your pocket.

Today I have 2 240Z's and both have stated value policies on them, so I know what they will be paying.

I hope the car is found in good shape before you have to go through all of that. It can happen, just ask Vicotr.

Good luck!

Marty

that sucks bud.

i'd rather be locked in a room with the dirtbag/s and get to beat the crap out of them myself. it's gotta give you SOME satisfaction.

hope it was just some JO out for a joyride and they can find and return your baby intact.

condolences

Have Faith. Mine came back to me after 10 grueling days with lock and dash damage and no radio. I can only attribute my luck to the outpouring of well-wishers from here and the mailing lists. Here my chance to turn it around.....

I'm wishing luck in the fast and safe return of your Z!

I posted up pictures in my gallery, but they are awaiting approval. I'll just describe it as best as I can. It was silver, but the original color was that bright yellow which could be seen in the footwells and the exposed metal behind the seats. There were no floor mats or padding of any sort; strictly race here guys and gals and all that stuff got in the way of my heel-toe (In fact, the brake booster was disconnected as well). The dash had a cover on it, but all of the guages and center consol were in pretty good shape. The intermittent selection on the wipers didn't work so I always stopped them vertical. The engine was changed up a bit: I removed the orange plenum/filter box; I added black foam filters; I removed all of the AC components and there were two line entry/exit holes in the passenger foot well viewing directly into the engine bay; red top optima battery made everything reliable for the thief; old spark plug was used to plug a hose from the balance tube; a yellow electrical butt was used to plug the brake assist fitting.

Most obvious aspects... "IDB racing" sticker on the driver's door directly in front of the side view driver's door mirror, chrome fender mounted side view mirrors mounted just behind the headlights (the door mirror was still there making for 2 side view mirrors on the driver side), and finally a door ding dead center on the passenger door with a good deal of surface rust setting in.

I don't imagine this will help too much until you see the pictures. The only other thing I can think of is that the front bumper addition was removed because it caused scratches on the front of the hood every time I opened it, and the tires were increased to a 70-75 aspect ratio tire made by Capitol so that they filled the tire well more appropriately.

Thanks again for all of your support guys, and thanks for reading through this and looking at the pictures when they come up.

I really do hope it was just a joy-rider, but I can't lean on unfounded potentials to be let down later on.

Got word it had been found undamaged just this last Thursday. I had been so busy with plans that I just now went to see it at the tow yard. It was worse than I thought, and much worse than undamaged... Other than looking like it had just run a desert rally I found the windshield to be cracked, the fender mounted mirrors were gone, and the guy generally took the car and made it his own. Every moveable piece of property that was mine within the car including registration, insurance, bag of change, and so much more was gone only to be replaced by this guy's nastyness and filth. He threw out my two speakers in the back and hooked up a sub and another speaker in the passenger seat. He left a phone, and a bunch of trash. Somehow (maybe from off-roading it) the bracket for the alternator was bent leaving my accessory belt quite loose, but she started up with my key just fine and purred as nice as she did when I left her in Huntington Beach a week ago.

So that's the news and I'm going to have insurance cover the rest of the damage or pay out my car (whichever the adjuster decides on). And I'm elated to have it back salvaged or not; it'll be like a fresh start. In fact I'm already considering doing my own dashboard remake out of painted aluminum and adding a kill switch or series of kill switches to prevent this from happening again.

Thanks for all of your concern and fervent support. I'll post pictures of the thief's unhandy handy work.

Congrats on getting the car back. Its too bad you have to go through so much but at least you got it back. Do they have any trace on who stole it? That scumbag deserves to be locked up for a long time. Good luck on getting it back to the way you had it.

I know it's not much now, but all in all I'd say you were very lucky. A new windshield is not that big of a deal, your insurance should cover that NP. Mirrors, speakers, loose stuff in the car, all that is easily replaced. Most don't get that lucky, I sisn't with mine. Pay homage to the Z Gods, and be thankful that she's back in your appreciative hands once more.