IGNORED

'71 240Z What do you think?

jmark

Mark,

FL is pretty rough on a car. That could explain the fading. You mentioned that he is giving you the paint. Is it SEM vinyl dye. I used that to change the drivers door panel from black to blue. Couldn't find a blue one. That stuff works great. PM me with your email address and I can send you instructions on how to prep an use SEM.

I put a NISMO shifter bushing kit in and it works great. Takes a lot of the slop out. The kit consists of 2 aluminum bushings and new washers. I bought a knock off kit off of eBay that uses 2 delrin bushings instead of aluminum. Haven't seen another one listed for a while. I am planning to put a 5 spd in my '71. When I do, I won't need the knock off kit.

Marty

dogma420,

It's my second. See my pics of my '78 280Z we redid. It's one reason I think this car is worth the $ because alot of what we went thru on the 280Z is already done. Marty is this kit for a type A tranny? I was aware of one for a type B. My '78 5 speed has its bushings replaced.

I am telling you, I like the fact that my Red 110 has white interior....gives it a creamsicle look to it (orange on the outside, white on the inside)...

...but heck, that blue interior is just gorgeious (sp)....just really really makes the interior look great...

By the way, the switch from the old 4 speed to even what I got (a 77 5 speed) is just unbelievable....

The shifting is so smooth, and you don't really have to push the shifter, you basically are just guiding it and the synchros are much more like a modern car...highly recommended just based upon the way it shifts.

I might recommend the newer 5 speeds in the ZX....a bad shift out of 5th and you grind the Reverse (they are on the same shift lever inside the tranny)...but I wanted the same exact ratios on 1-4 as they were on the 4 speed...just wanted a 5th overdrive for cruising to the beach.

Take care,

I have the type A tranny shift reducing kit from MSA installed on my 77 type A 5 speed....

Prior to that, I just had brand new plastic bushings, which took all the slop out, I think they were like $1.50 from MSA each....just replace the stock ones for getting slop out.

The reducing kit is great on the type A tranny....makes the shifts much smaller, your elbow doesn't have to move much now!

Take care,

dogma420,

It's my second. See my pics of my '78 280Z we redid. It's one reason I think this car is worth the $ because alot of what we went thru on the 280Z is already done. Marty is this kit for a type A tranny? I was aware of one for a type B. My '78 5 speed has its bushings replaced.

The Nismo shift kit I am describing is only for a type A tranny. It basically replaces the rubber bushings with aluminum ones, or in the case of the knock off kit, delrin. Either one gives a very positive shift with a lot less slop.

Marty

The Nismo shift kit I am describing is only for a type A tranny. It basically replaces the rubber bushings with aluminum ones, or in the case of the knock off kit, delrin. Either one gives a very positive shift with a lot less slop.

Marty

Marty, When you go to your 5 speed I'd be interested in your kit. Thanks! Anyone know if they are still available from NISMO?

Type A as far as I know, all takes the same shift kit, up to 1978...then the 280zx changed to Type B, which requires difference linkage...

I could be completely wrong....but I do know that MSA sells 2 kits, one for 70-78 4spd/5spd and one kit for 79-83s and the later one they don't have any in stock for, and explicitely explain that the short shift kit doesn't reduce it as much...

I guess we could search, as this tranny topic has been discussed to death...I was just trying to recall off the top of my head and didn't want to doublecheck cause I'm lazy sort of :tapemouth

Jmark,

That's the one.

The Type A tranny was only used on the '70 and early '71 models. When they swithed to the "Type II" series 240Z, they switched to the Type B tranny. All the 5spds are considered Type B trannies too.

Dogma, the short shift kit is a different product that what we are discussing here. We are discussing a bushing only kit.

I would sell you my delrin kit for $15. I would like to wait until I have the 5 spd in my hands though, if you don't mind waiting.

Marty