IGNORED

'72 on ebay

hls30.com

Here is what I saw on this restoration

1)Engine Compartment: air cleaner, coil, corrosion on the valve cover, rust on almost all of the hardware(nuts, bolts,brake fluid caps, solonoid, battery hold down...), rust near battery tray, original squirter plumbing, junkyard crayon on the bell housing, empty mounting holes, Hayden electric fan-conveniently no photos showing the frame rails from above at all. Frame rails from below are beat up at the front, and show rust in the seams and drain hole. Holes in radiator support.

2)Spectacular interior: Cracked console with extra holes in it! Cut wiring hanging from under dash. No map light cover-the white housing is showing! Green fuzz on vents, missing seat mechanism covers, wrong steering wheel, rust on the roll bar mount, missing foot rest cover, pieces out of the rear deck finisher, no luggage straps(or even holes in the carpet for them), definite interferance between the seats and the roll bar, water spots on the shock tower vinyl, a cut in the back of the passenger seat, water marks at the bottom lower corner of the evaporator housing.

3)Exterior: Wrong door mirrors, no hatch emblems, rust bubbles ahead of DSR wheel and near tail pipe, bent lower rear panel, Something wrong with passenger side door sill. Rusty hatch hardware. Overspray on the undercoat.

I guess many of the things I saw are the difference between freshening/modding and restoring.

But some of them(original washer plumbing) are just indicative of trying to save a buck? To have been gone through three years ago, the car should have been more detailed when gone through-if the hardware rust has come up since then, imagine what will happen if the car sees rain. A broken console, hanginging disconnected or cut wiring, water spots on the vinyl, rust bubbles, and only two pictures of the improtant areas of the car-oops and a wealth of misleading and vague info to add hype. The person selling it read one book on Zs, and considers himself to be well educated on them. The car is a pretty driver, but if it is a $13,000 '72, then mine will be a $23,000 example, and I haven't seen a modified low mileage 240Z bring that.

Will

Also as far as I can tell the rear dog-leg panel seams are gone, which might indicate that rust problems required that they be replaced. It's easier to smooth out (shave?) that seam than to make it look like the original spot welded seam. I had both of those replaced on my car and I"ll probably have to hide that seam also.

Michael

Man, I have to agree with Will's post! Good eye Will! We all know photographs can hide alot of little things...if you know what I mean? Also, from the looks of the undercarrige, which looks pretty hammered and rust riden, this car looks as though it has had a paint job and some tires and wheels added and that about it! This guy obviously has no idea the current value of these cars, based on the condition it is in! $23.500.00??? He's got to be kinding. To copy Will's explaination regarding price....then my 1970 240Z should be worth at least $30,000.00..............any taker???? LOLLOLLOL

My husband always says look under the car first. This will tell you what kind of life the car has lived and how thorough the restoration was.

Will has my vote for "Z Police Chief" :classic:

Vicky

He gets really pissed if you leave negitive feedback! ROFL Just read what he says! Comes off as a jerk to me.

Buyer:

Said truck currently registered; DMV said $1550 fees; not registered in 6 years

Buyer marshasguy ( -1 ) Dec-16-02 19:43 1873638597

Seller:

Reply by caliandcali: HORRIBLE PERSON,SIGNED& AGREED TO ALL FEES, &VERY HAPPY WITH THE TRUCK? Dec-28-02 17:21

Well, it's obvious that the auction is run by a Auto Reseller (Dealer, Broker, Agent, whatever)

When was the last time you believed anything that one of them told you without verifying it yourself?

They always act indignant when you catch them in the lie.

Hope no one gets burned on this one. (Notice that the license plate has only a 2002 registration sticker on it!)

Well, it's obvious that the auction is run by a Auto Reseller (Dealer, Broker, Agent, whatever)

When was the last time you believed anything that one of them told you without verifying it yourself?

Speaking of car salesmen, here's a really cool story written by a guy who was hired to go undercover working as a salesman at a couple of dealerships:

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying/articles/42962/article.html

Thanks for the great link, Mike. Interesting (if long) read. Worth bookmarking for future reference, and I've done so.

Seems to indicate that the salesperson is but a small cog in a large machine that can be very predatory from top to bottom. "Caveat Emptor" is still the best advice for a customer shopping for a car.