IGNORED

Best paint color?

marximus

curtis, you have got the color that was in my mind when i said blue! that is hot! what color blue is that??? i also like bartmans color, it captures my eyes. shees, now im gonna have even more trouble deciding. franks silver is also really nice

!!!

the more i look at that world rally blue pearl, the more i like it! i have to say, i think im going to go blue. and as of now, i think its a race between curtis' blue and the world rally blue pearl. anymore color pics?

hello all,

i have to start thinking about what color i am going to paint my car, and i wanted all of your opinion/pictures. i wanted to paint a blue metalic or silver. what is the best color in your opinion for the z? (i am looking for a paticular paint color) thanks

mark-

unless you are trying to maintain the origional Z , paint the color you like best!! If you are not going to pull the engine and do the engine bay , then paint it that color. A z that is one color and the engine bay is another lowers the value and looks cheesey

beandip, i agree it will look cheasy... but honestly, the value in no way is going to decrease from the $700 i paid for it because of a new paint job - engine bay:). the paint on it was pretty bad. i dont want a complete restoration, just a z that will look good. it runs great and was a daily driver before a friend sold it to me because of fuel prices. anywho, i would like to paint the engine bay as well, but it is just too much effort for what i want, you know? i think im preaching to the wrong audience because you guys seem like complete restoration pros!:)also, im not sure what color i like best for the z, hence the thread on the best color:)i know i want to head in the direction of silver or blue, for what its worth.

seerex, that aston martin gray is pretty nice. my old man has a 1997 db7 in his garage with a similar dark gray. cant remember the name of it right now, but its a dark, dark gray. he also has an 1998 XK8 with a light silver which i love the look of. but i also love the look of blue on the Z. i fell in love with the color blue on cars with my first car, a 1966 cadillac coupe de'ville. still have her too!

This 240Z (http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=14223&size=big&sort=2&cat=3218, http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=14224&sort=2&cat=3218, http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=14225&sort=2&size=medium&cat=3218, I think it is owned by Bill Coffee) was at the 2005 Z-Fest in Orlando. The picture does not do the car justice. The color was awesome. I think Bill mentioned that it is a GM color.

This was definitely the nicest race car I've ever seen.

Cheers,

what color blue is that???

It is a Ford Taurus blue. I told my painter....The really nice Ford Taurus blue and he said, Yea I know what color you are talking about. So I don't know the color code number, but you can see it in those paint chip books. BTW, the color looks better on my car than on the Taurus. I think it has to do with the different lines and curves of the Z versus the Taurus.

beandip, i agree it will look cheasy... but honestly, the value in no way is going to decrease from the $700 i paid for it because of a new paint job - engine bay:). the paint on it was pretty bad. i dont want a complete restoration, just a z that will look good. it runs great and was a daily driver before a friend sold it to me because of fuel prices. anywho, i would like to paint the engine bay as well, but it is just too much effort for what i want, you know? i think im preaching to the wrong audience because you guys seem like complete restoration pros!:)also, im not sure what color i like best for the z, hence the thread on the best color:)i know i want to head in the direction of silver or blue, for what its worth.

seerex, that aston martin gray is pretty nice. my old man has a 1997 db7 in his garage with a similar dark gray. cant remember the name of it right now, but its a dark, dark gray. he also has an 1998 XK8 with a light silver which i love the look of. but i also love the look of blue on the Z. i fell in love with the color blue on cars with my first car, a 1966 cadillac coupe de'ville. still have her too!

I THINK YOU HAVE ANSWERED YOUR OWN QUESTION ABOUT THE COLOR. As for not matching the engine bay , spending what a good paint job costs, upward of $1800.00 to 3K and to have your beautiful Z look like you are dressed to go out on the town with one yellow sock and one red one and miss matching shoes. That's all I am not a purest and favor restorations , I painted my Z a '05 Ford yellow. Engine bay included though . just my 2 cts Gary by the way have a look at Toyota '05 Stratosphere blue, if you like dark blue this will blow your socks off . Both colors ! LOL all the best .Gary

beandip, i guess i should have mentioned that i have a friend who owns a body shop. he is going to paint it no cost, other that the cost of the paint as long as i do all the prep.pretty nice!

i love dark blue, i will be sure to check that color out.

uggg, beandip! you make me feel bad about leaving the engine bay alone, and make me want to do it...what would it take to get it painted? i would have to drop the trans and engine, take out all the wires, and prep the surface right? give me an idea of how much harder it will be to paint the engine bay...

thanks

mark-

uggg, beandip! you make me feel bad about leaving the engine bay alone, and make me want to do it...what would it take to get it painted? i would have to drop the trans and engine, take out all the wires, and prep the surface right? give me an idea of how much harder it will be to paint the engine bay...

thanks

mark-

I had my engine bay painted without removing the engine. The painter did pull back all of the wires and remove accessories mounted to the bay. Most people who've seen it are surprised that it was done without pulling the engine.

beandip, i guess i should have mentioned that i have a friend who owns a body shop. he is going to paint it no cost, other that the cost of the paint as long as i do all the prep.pretty nice!

i love dark blue, i will be sure to check that color out.

thanks

mark-

marimus,

If you are getting the painting labor for free, you are crazy not to have the engine bay painted! It is some work to do, but it is totally worth it. You will need to remove the engine and trans. Remove everything else in the engine bay attached to a painted surface. The brake and fuel lines can be left attached, but move them away from the painted surface toward the center of the car. You will need to scrub the hell out of the engine bay. And then scrub it again. You don't want to get any fish eyes in that new beautiful paint.

By the way, my '70 is painted that Ford color too. I believe it is called Ford Midnight Blue. My wife's van is the Toyota Blue, which is nice. It just does not compare to the Ford blue when in the sun though. That is just brilliant. check my gallery for mor pics. But, its up to your perferences, it's your car.

Marty

post-874-14150795025589_thumb.jpg