IGNORED

240z vs 280z

mrcow

Aw, come on, the bumpers are part of what makes a 280Z a 280Z. I have owned both. If you try to make a 240 out of a 280, you'll be dissapointed.

yes, i agree with you, the bumpers are part of what makes a 280z a 280z. honestly, i dont want the 280z bumpers because they make the Z look like a sedan, not a sports car. i want a sports car, and i dont like the look of the fiberglass bumpers and airdams, therefore i wont be disapointed. if i had the choice, i would buy a 240Z, but i am crunched for the cash.

Don't put to much stock in an older Z car retaining it's value. Unless it is in mint condition and has all it's orignal parts in tact with no aftermarket parts what so ever, only a handful of older 240's can can claim to be in that condition and can go from anywhere from $16k to 20k. Everything else depends on finding that one buyer who will pay what you are asking for, classic status or not. But then, who's thinking of selling right?

In my opinion the 70-72 Z just looks cooler and more classic, the 280's looks too modern.

Alex

Other than the bumpers, what on the 280 makes you think that? Just wondering. Take off the bumpers, and it takes some hard looking from the exterior to figure out if you are looking at a series II 240Z or a 260Z or 280Z. As long as we are NOT talking about the 280ZX, which is an entirely different animal...

The 240Z is in better proportion than all but the early (narrow bumber) 260Z, the wider bumpers are more in proportion with the 2+2 versions of the later cars. Did any of the 260 2+2s come with the narrow bumpers? Would be interesting to see.

To me the 280ZX was definitely a transition car. In its development, it went from clearly defined chrome bumpers to the body color clad bumpers that most modern cars have. Though the bumper covers were made to create a more smooth transition to the bodywork, most of todays cars have bumpers integrated into the body work completely(350Z) While I would not call the 280ZX modern anymore, it certianly is more modern than a 240Z-though not nearly as beautiful. The 300Z series finished the bumper to bodywork transition for the Z, and that is part of what makes a car look "modern" to me. I like the quote from Car and Driver years ago, cars look more and more like "a gumdrop on wheels".

Will

Car and Driver did a comparo between a modified 240Z and a mid-late 80's 300ZX. The 240 was modified somewhat and performed well against the stock 300, outperforming it in a few categories. The two things about the article I distinctly remember were that the 240 had a mechanical failure before the test was complete (water pump) and that in order to get the 240 to perform to the level of the 300 the 240 driver was busy pushing themselves and the car. The 300 driver by comparison, seemed to be "just there".

The older the Z, the more effort will be necessary to keep it on the road, and the more prone it will be to mechanical failure. The driving experience in a newer Z seems muted from the older Z's. I feel like I'm a better driver in general when I can get my older Z to perform as well as a newer Z might. That said,the 240Z is louder and the ride is much less refined than even my 260 was and later Z's. It drains you more physically to drive it long distances whereas newer Z's are more comfortable.

Whether you should buy a 280 or wait for a 240 is best determined by what you want the car to be and to do. If you're thinking about stripping a 280 to get the weight/performance closer to a 240, just buy a 240. If you want a Z daily driver with great performance and the classic first gen body styling, get the 280.

Whether you should buy a 280 or wait for a 240 is best determined by what you want the car to be and to do. If you're thinking about stripping a 280 to get the weight/performance closer to a 240, just buy a 240. If you want a Z daily driver with great performance and the classic first gen styling, get the 280.

I second that!

the 240 did not come with that much horse under the hood---it was a 2.4 Litre motor---the 280 was a 2.8----I have the middle--2.6--or --260Z the value is in the age and the driveability...the 240 is becoming more rare every day--my 260 was only made one year---all the more rare...

I said "If you work out the power to weight ratio of both cars theres not much in it."

This just plain isn't true...the 240 weighed much less, and with smog restrictions on the 280, the 240 had more power stock. That is just a fact.

They are welcome on this forum, but if someone is asking which one to get, they should be given a straight answer

Power to weight ratio based on the figures given above by other people

240z power 151 HP, weight 2400 pounds

280z power 170 HP, weight 2700 pounds (yes 300 pounds iq quite alot more)

Do the maths:

240z power to weight = 1:15.894

280z power to weight = 1:15.882

Thats just a fact! based on the quoted power and weight figure. If they are wrong blame someone else.

Straight enough for you? :mad:

The 240z didnt have more power stock than a 77 FI L28.

Let me add much of the mystique of a first gen body style circles around the 240. When I had my 260 I would get one of two standard enquiries 1) "Is that a 240?" or 2) "What year is your 240?" The 280 fanatics were much more reserved.