IGNORED

VQ30 DET into 1974 260z

RP975

• 3 months later...

Hi 260DET,

Here are some more photos of my project.I have made frame mounts for the new engine x-member, a new x-member with rubber mounts from the rear trailing arms of a 88 model falcon.

I am trying to upload some photos but it doesn't seem to be working, or should I say I am doing somethig wrong.I go to manage attachments , then browse and select photos , then upload and after a few minutes the window goes blank?

What am I doing wrong ?

Well I have managed to get two photos attached.

post-5523-14150795443025_thumb.jpg

post-5523-14150795443653_thumb.jpg

post-5523-14150795444295_thumb.jpg

post-5523-14150795444932_thumb.jpg

post-5523-14150795445594_thumb.jpg

The next stage I am trying is to press a plenum out of aluminium, and I am waiting for a set of hubs from a 87 model turbo 300z where the discs slide over the hubs so that I can use the front discs from the Cedric.

My engineer wants a top engine mount as well, which I will mount to the top of the strut-cross brace.

I will also have to have new exhaust manifolds made and I want the manifold from the drivers side to go under the engine( as there is plenty of room under the sump where the previous x-member used to go) and up to meet the turbo where the battery used to be, I think that this will be the coolest way(as in cooling the exhaust under the engine) and neatest without the turbo being in front of the motor with all the heat creating a very hot engine bay.

Any way still lots to do but it is OK when I take one step at a time.

I am having fun and learning lots along the way.

post-5523-14150795451664_thumb.jpg

post-5523-14150795452079_thumb.jpg

Looking good Robert, very good, like the rubber bushes you adapted for the engine mounts particularly. The extra Xmember will help the car structurally as well, may assist stability under heavy braking.

Your turbo exhaust pipe routing idea seems sound, easy to run a dump pipe from the former battery space too.

With the plenum, just basically an airbox is required with that engine, no individual runners there?

Hi 260DET,

That's right just an airbox no individual runners, the original had the plenum with the inlet and throtle body at the back of the motor but I decided to remove that and the exhuast (which ran across behind the motor) so that I could move the engine as far back as poss, also so that the engine would sit down behind the z car x-member. Other wise the engine would be too far forward and too high as well.

With the plenum I will try to press the top and then have that welded to the gasket flange from the bottom of the original plenum.

From the front I will run two round alloy tubes to the twin throtle body (47mm diameter ea).

Because the plenum will be slightly shorter ( to clear the bonet) I will have the front runners slightly longer which should keep approx the same volume as the original intake.