IGNORED

VIN Decoding

jszarecki

I'mused to new car vins that tell almost everything about the car. From color to interior to engine and so on. Mostly I am trying to figure out how to find out all of this info.

You can't. New car VINS have all of that information encoded in about 17 alphanumeric characters. The Datsun numbers are simple sequential serial numbers preceded by the model type. The only way you'd be able to get the information you seek would be if Nissan had maintained a database of VINs with all of the options stored there. I've never heard of such a thing.

You need to get a parts book or CD to help you determine parts. Color should be fairly simple to determine since Nissan didn't offer say, 5 different whites back then as they do now. There's not many ZX owners that post here so information will be sketchy at best. I'm not trying to discourage you from coming and posting here, but maybe you should be looking for a ZX forum.

Did the ZX's not have a color code sticker under the hood? If you knew the model type (GL or not) and the original color, you would be able to determine the interior color, as well as what was standard equipment (yes/no?)

Carl B.

Yes it does have a color code sticker under the hood I believe it was a blue. The majority of the car is primered but there are still remnents of the blue on the car. I will have to look into the info plate under the hood. I must appologize I didn't realize there would be seperate sites for Z's and ZX's. If that is the case can anyone recomend a good ZX site?

Thanks Van

Van, what color is your dash?

If I remember correctly (and I probably don't), there where only three options-

1. brown dash, tan interior, brownish carpet

2. dark (navy) blue dash, blue interior

3. red dash, red interior.

I think things where different for the GL models, they had leather seats, and some other stuff, so I may be completely off base.

• 1 year later...

Hello all,

I recently got my father's 240Z. Its VIN is HLS30-15369.

The mfg. plate on the driver's side door say's it was built 12/70.

Paperwork shows that the car was ordered 7/11/70, and delivered 2/18/71.

First question, what is this car? a 1970 or 1971?

Also what other info can the VIN tell?

(the car was parked in 1980 when my father lost his sight, and has 24,041 on the odo)

There are signs of some rust starting to show on the rocker panels and obviously all the mechanicals and seals need a thorough going over.)

Thanks!

Hello all,

I recently got my father's 240Z. Its VIN is HLS30-15369.

The mfg. plate on the driver's side door say's it was built 12/70.

Paperwork shows that the car was ordered 7/11/70, and delivered 2/18/71.

First question, what is this car? a 1970 or 1971?

Also what other info can the VIN tell?

(the car was parked in 1980 when my father lost his sight, and has 24,041 on the odo)

There are signs of some rust starting to show on the rocker panels and obviously all the mechanicals and seals need a thorough going over.)

Thanks!

Welcome Jason, I see you made it over from Jalopnik! :classic: I may be wrong, but it appears your car may be a '71 model. The only thing the VIN really tells you is that it is a US 240Z, 15369th car produced. The door jab plate tells you when the car was produced, and there is a plate on the passenger side engine bay that tells you the engine number as well.

I'll let others more knowledgeable chime in to confirm or deny if your car is a '71.

While the designation of Series I and II seem to be from Nissan (Datsun) they're not, they're more our (US) labels to differentiate between the earlier versions and later versions. I believe that the labels go up to Series IV. www.zhome.com has more information on that. Here's the link to the production figures for the HLS30 model: http://zhome.com/History/DesignChanges.htm

But to help you identify items, your car is a Series I if it has Vents in the Hatch and NOT on the C pillars above the rear wheels. There are more determinants, but that is the most obvious and the least changeable. Other determinants include the dash, the center console, headlight sugar scoop material, interior plastic pieces and accessories, rear hatch window glass, etc.. Rather than try to list them all here, go to the Zhome link, and remember that much of the information there is for the HL version of the S30 and not necessarily applicable to the other market models worldwide.

FWIW

Enrique