IGNORED

B&M wants to borrow your car!

TomoHawk

I dunno how long it took to develop the thing. I heard about it in 1990, then tried to buy one in 1993,when I orderd my GTO stuff, and then the salesman told me they stopped making them. That makes 3 years.

Unfortunately, The biggest problem was that it didn't catch on like you would think. It's such a different idea that it would take a while. That part you got right.

Many NEW ideas take a while, like paddle shifters. I'm not hot for those myself. Nor do many cars have them( I can think of 3), so why do they bother offering them in cars?

Point people are making is "WE" don't need or want this, YOU do. So get going on it, you said you have worked on it for a long time, take your plans to B&M and tell them about how many automatic owners want to be stick shifty wannabes.

PS It was dog leg, not log leg.

I have a notebook full of ideas on the subject. Not having machining tools & stuff means I gotta get somebody else to do it. Nor am I a shifter engineer. My specialty is Chemistry, so I'm be better at designing a new metal for the shifter, or a new paint.

And like I said, I can't use a manual-shift transmission. And, AFAIK, you can't get a sequential transmission to to fit the L28 engine. It would be easier & cheaper to just change the shifter.

It's not a question of being a manual shift wannabe! It's just a different kind of sporty shifter! How many people haft 'short-throw shifters?' By your logic, you don't need that, do you?

Pancho-

Sorry, typo. My fingers are tired & tangled. What's a dog-leg shift pattern?

thx

Hope the ideas are more lucid that what you have shared here. Like most of your ideas it requires someone else to make it happen.

I'm sure they have people that can read and understand any real plans you show them. Market analisys from "Ark #2" I'm not so sure of.

They just need to fix the problem so they can get it (certified for competition).

Same thing they "just" needed to do in 1993, but chose not to do! FOR A REASON that made sense to themselves.

Many NEW ideas take a while........

Unforunately, time is AGAINST this idea. The S30's are on average 30 years old. Less and less of them remain as every year goes by.(same for old Maxima's as well)

In 1990 (or 1993) B&M chose to not "fix" their problem and scrapped the idea. Why would they revive it 12+ years later? Because there are more S30's around now? Because it's MORE economicly feasible to resolve now?

...............like paddle shifters. I'm not hot for those myself. Nor do many cars have them( I can think of 3), so why do they bother offering them in cars?

1. Because the "super cars" that have paddle shift are capable of far higher performance than our cars.

2. Because the people who by these toys WANT the latest bells and whistles that modern technology has to offer (AND, they can afford to pay what it costs to engineer these things.)

PS they are computer controlled and shift in miliseconds. Try to adapt THAT technology to a 78 automatic transmission Z car.

But Hey, Give it a shot. Let us know when they turn out the lights in Fantasyland. LOL

RICE?

Adding a period-looking shifter doesn't sound like rice to me, and it would definitely be cool for us with the automatic trannies, and would be as functional as aesthetic. Like I said, it would make the auto-shift cars look like the manual-shift ones, from the driver's seat.

Doesn't sound like rice? What? I bet you like those spinner hubcaps too, huh? Dude, just go out and buy yourself a Honda, there's so much fake stuff out there for those cars already.

Oh, and I can't believe you're going to leave your console hacked up like that! But it's your car...