IGNORED

looking for the owner of this car

dat240z71

I too have never heard "Mexican Orange." I have heard Competition orange but I think this is more a case of owners assigning it a name rather than just saying #918 Orange

edit : spelling error. After all, I wrote this post while I was still doped up on drugs from surgery

A few years ago I went to a wholesale paint supplier looking for the datsun 918 paint sample. They guy had an old faded paint "chip" book from the early 70's and I recall that it was 918 and "mexican orange"on the same sample. Probably not an official datsun document so I'm not sure if its a nickname or from the factory but the name has been around for a while.

Bambikiller- What brand of paint did you use when you got your Z repainted? How close of a match was it to the original mix #918 Orange from the factory?

To be honest, I don't remember what brand of paint the shop used (it was a long time ago). I found a body shop that I was confident could do a great job and let them do it their way. I was more than pleased with the results. Sorry I cannot be of any help with a brand recommendation.

A few years ago I went to a wholesale paint supplier looking for the datsun 918 paint sample. They guy had an old faded paint "chip" book from the early 70's and I recall that it was 918 and "mexican orange"on the same sample. Probably not an official datsun document so I'm not sure if its a nickname or from the factory but the name has been around for a while.

That is what I thought. It seems that various companies apply names to a color without regard to an "official" name. See the two scans attached for paint on 1971 and 1972 Datsuns an example.

I had a custom paint shop in the 1970's and also owned my 72 Z as well as my 70 Z at the time. Back to the original question; all you need to know is that the color is a 1970-1972 Datsun color #918. Any body shop or automotive paint supplier will be able to work with that. I have not been around paints for years but I always swore by Dupont products. Now as to the names of the colors, I believe that paint manufacturers gave names to the colors, or it may even be regional. I don't know. My car is 110 red (which is actually a darker orange). When I purchased Dupont paint locally it was designated as 1972 Datsun 110 persimmon red. Now I don't think persimmons (a small orange fruit from a tree) are common the world around. So, well, you get the picture! :ermm:

I have heard of 110 Red being called "Persimmon". But I haven't seen it on an official Nissan document either.

Having worked in a company that was owned by, and also employed many Korean people I do know that the fruit "Persimmon" is well known, and a favorite fruit in Korea. I suppose it's possible that Persimmons are grown in Japan as well. I have a Persimmon tree in my yard and rather than letting the fruit go unused, I'd invite co-workers to come over and clean out the tree.

One last comment, a persimmon fruit is colored much more closely to 918 Orange, than to 110 Red.

Well, if you find the owner and get a confirmation of the color, let us know. Cause in person the car looks like 918 Orange.

I have to go with Bambikiller on this one. It's a 1970, the hood is up (color matching the body) and the original sticker is under the hood (unless it is a reproduction sticker) and 918 was the only orange that year. If you find the owner please let us know what color this is. :ermm:JLP