IGNORED

Z Restoration Progam

26th-Z

Jurven240z,

Hows it going? Long time no see!

26th-Z

Hi Christopher. I'm the one that Juan was talking about, who purchased the shell from Marc.

Marc still has parts left from the Z restoration program. The shell's title was still under Nissan, and I have the letter written to the State of California asking to wave the fines/fees for re-registering. He's a nice guy, and he helped get me in touch with Matt Maloney, a body shop manager who painted a few of the cars for the program. My car is at the shop that Matt currently works at (he brought his paint and body guy over from the old shop) awaiting paint. I'll go ahead and e-mail you his contact information.

Thanks Eric! I had remembered that there was at third shop involved - Datsun Alley. I was also told today that Marc sold the business. More as that develops.

Let's add to the bibliography of essential reading:

Long, Brian; "Datsun Z, Fairlady to 280Z", Veloce Publishing 1998 - chapter 8, "Buying and Restoring an Early Z".

The pictures I posted of the silver car came from Nissan N.A. press pack about the Z Restoration Program. Those and several more are published in Long's book. "An amazing restoration - the result of around 300 hours' work. Nissan North America will sell the restored cars through a limited number of dealers across the States, with prices running at around $25,000". The postscript paragraphs of Chapter 8 describe the essence of the program. Many of the points we have discussed in the past, in past threads, are brought to light in this reading. We are going to discover / uncover quite a few issues that have been points of debate in the past; that which may debate what Nissan published to the press concerning the intent of the program.

post-4148-14150794654658_thumb.gif

Nissan North America will sell the restored cars through a limited number of dealers across the States, with prices running at around $25,000....

Is that the value the insurance companies will use, or would they go with the N.A.D.A. book value of about $3,000 - $8,000 because the 240Z "isn't a very desireable car." :(

Chris,

Since Brown's Fairfax Nissan is about as far North and East as the program went I will endeavour to contact them this week to see if they have any information with regard to the program. Fairfax is only about 30 miles from my house and I can stop by my grandfather's house since he lives about 10 minutes from the dealer (good excuse to drop off one of my cars for winter storage?).

An interesting fact that some or none of us may have been aware of is that one could have bought the restored cars using Nissan Motor Acceptance for financing! One of my fellow ZCCNV members has a bunch of information and since he doesn't post here he asked if I post for him. When I receive the information I will be sure to post in this thread and credit him appropiately.

Thanks Bob and thanks Jerry! I'm taking the day off Thursday to devote to a research mission. I have arranged an audience to one of the great collector LibraryZ. Bob, your connection is another great LibraryZ. We should find some interesting information and expand our bibliography. Jerry, I have not contacted Les. Go for it!

I want to mention that I am hoping to come up with some other interesting information from my visit to the LibraryZ. It seems some documents I have been looking for are closer than I thought. Should be fun.

I also want to mention some of the private e-mail I have been receiving and thank everyone for their interest and writing to me; their suggestions, contacts and comments. I think I discovered the origins of the F word. I also think we might run into some sensitive issues about the Z Restoration Program as we get further into this.

I want to reiterate my intention to establish a comprehensive bibliography of the published material on the subject. Not that all the written material is completely factual, rather identifying what was said and in what context. It would be a dream to account for all the cars. Lets see how far we get. How many of you saved pictures from Restoration Program cars that have been on eBay or other classifieds?

Here is a blurb from the Nissan publication "Rebirth"; 1997. "When available, genuine Nissan parts are used. And in those cases when non-Nissan parts are used, quality non-OEM parts are approved by Nissan engineers, specifically for use on these restored cars".

"Some vehicles shown with optional equipment. See actual vehicle for complete accuracy". And ..."not all model years, colors or option combinations will be available".

Add to the Bibliography:

Sport Compact Car magazine, August 1997

Autoweek, May 26, 1997

Automobile magazine, June 1997

Here are a couple of scans from the Nissan publication "Rebirth", copyright Nissan Motor Corporation U.S.A.

post-4148-14150794658474_thumb.jpg

post-4148-14150794658724_thumb.jpg

26th, this is great idea - even for us over here in Australia.

Given that the Z-restoration program can be classified as relatively 'recent history' in the overall scheme of Z-cars, there must be a good number of Nissan people connected with the project still alive(!) I suggest that your research includes a little 'human' investigation too: Who at Nissan N.America came up with the idea? Who oversaw the project? Who decided to pull the financial plug and why? What were the project's objectives?

If you can find the right people to speak to, the information you get will be arguably more valuable than the dribs and drabs that you will be starting to recieve right now - and it will be literally from the horse's mouth!

I know this PM doesn't help you much but I want to wish you good luck and I'll watch developments with interest,

Cheers,

Hayden.

Good idea Halz. Of course it might be near impossible to get in contact with the people who were behind the program, but it would be great if someone could find them and they were willing to help. This is an excellent project Chris, I too will be watching from the sideline :)

I recieved a phone call from Les (Classic Datsun) last night, we discussed the Nissan restoration program to length. He is very forthright with information on the program. I requested that he gather any documentation on the program which he would be willing to share. Les is a very busy man but I am sure as time allows he will share some insightful information along with documentation on the program with us. :D