IGNORED

Carbon parts (post suggestions)

mull

Our friend Mull is talking about carbon fiber pieces, not fiberglass (chopper style or cloth lay up). I believe that his guy has said to have experience in real structural applications (race car or aerospace quality).

If you don't feel CF is an appropriate chassis material then please inform all current F1, Indycar, IRL, Grand-Am, and ALMS chassis manufactures immediatly. After that contact the D.O.D. and warn them that their most advanced aircraft are prone to falling apart.

I don't want to be a smart arse or anything...

but someone wouldn't contact the Department of Defense in the event of a structural flaw, but would rather contact the Federal Aviation Administration, since they are in charge of the skies, even military.

Airplanes, F1 cars, and super cars, such as Ferrari, Pagani, Porsche and Lambo are using Carbon Fiber chassis and bodies...

Not JUST carbon fiber, but also Kevlar re-inforcement for structural integrity.

I do realize that boats, airplanes, and cars have been built with fiberglass chassis and bodies, but with today's technology and strength of carbon fiber, it would be a much wiser idea to build it out of carbon fiber.

Just don't tell Rumy that he has to run weapons systems past the F.A.A.!!!!!!!!

Carbon for strength, Kevlar for toughness. Different blends for different applications.

If the rusted chassis is still holding the car together, a structually sound (all on it's own) patch design could be bonded to what is left of frame to provide a stronger finished assembly than the 24 gage factory origional, agreed???

Holes in floor could be repaired by using structural adhesives to glue small steel patches over rust holes (to level out floors for carpet, to fill major holes in rails prior to full surface bonding of CF structural repair panels, etc.).

Unless building a hardcore race car where weight is very essential, I wouldn't put all thoses expensive carbon fiber parts on my car - the car would end up looking like... you guessed it rice :sick:

Just my 2 cents

Justin

sorry, I disagree. It isn't rice since it's REAL, GENUINE carbon fiber. If it was that fake stuff the kids in Civics paste on their dash and stuff, then ya, rice all the way, but I wouldn't call a Ferrari Enzo adorned in Carbon fiber rice IMAO.

Dave

I'm not sure I'd wanna make a contribution to the hide-rust-behind-fiber-glass-and-paint community.

Sorry. I've had enough of that bullshit on my own Z! Go get yourself some tools and

buy some sheet metal and get to work! Are you building a boat or a car?!?

If you're gonna fix your Z - do it PROPERLY, instead of kidding yourself with bondos and

fiber glass crap! It's like turning the other way, telling yourself that "There is no rust".

D'oh...

Our friend Mull is talking about carbon fiber pieces, not fiberglass (chopper style or cloth lay up). I believe that his guy has said to have experience in real structural applications (race car or aerospace quality).

Friend. You're making stuff up. I've never said anything about the background of "my guy".

His roots however - are in race cars. But I still haven't said it until now.

LOL.. no i'm talking about fiberglass over fenders and rust spots on the car.

Someone wouldhave to be nuts to make fiberglass framerails

Go get some Plastic Padding instead mate ;)

Only in the rear(enlarge and rework the rear marker opening, strip the fender to bare metal, and bond them on, the side marker light will glow through the whole panel because of the carbon fiber)!

The front fenders would be direct bolt on replacements(painted silver underneath to match the "over steel" look of the rears after bonding to steel), and have the headlight scoops molded in.

Will

The side markers are extruded from the chassis, you'd want them covered up with CF?

õ_O

Carbon fiber and epoxy are essentially translucent, remove the markers, don't cut the cooresponding holes in the cf panels, and mount light housiung on the inside of the fenders, such that the light flows through, catching on every strand of cf. A backlit indicator, (no protrusions from the body)

The lights would only be visible when on-no bulges in the bodywork!

Will