IGNORED

Carbon parts (post suggestions)

mull

You're the one that brought up the prices you've seen for carbon fiber parts elsewhere. So, if others write in with prices on the same parts that you talked about in your thread, such as hoods made of carbon fiber IT IS NOT "OFF TOPIC." Especially if they are half the price you are talking about (refer to your own thread starting first post).

http://www.classicdatsun.com/new/carbonfiberhood.html.

About your idea to post various carbon fiber parts to have produced, it is a good one and I thank you for starting the thread. Let's just agree to disagree on the attitude thing. I think carbon fiber hoods, rear spoilers, even fender flares are a good idea. How about reproductions of the early, Series 1 and 2 consoles? Door panels and other interior panels would be interesting. Just a few thoughts. Happy New Year!

I like your post, and your attitude for that matter ;)

I might come off as sour as a lemon, I'm not - I'm just annoyed by people

going "Hey, there's this guy who makes it..." I really don't care about that

since I have a sponsor, and wouldn't mind sharing the molds made.

I'm having the entire doors made from carbon fiber - not just the sides.

Interior panels might come into interest, since some of mine are cracked.

Not sure if there's much gain in making these from CF instead of fiber glass.

..............I might come off as sour as a lemon, I'm not - I'm just annoyed by people

going "Hey, there's this guy who makes it..." I really don't care about that

since I have a sponsor, and wouldn't mind sharing the molds made.

Mull: I don't want to get into the argument, but I think that those people stating that "X part" is already made by someone are just pointing out that they aren't interested in your part because it is going to be made 1/2 way around the world and they can already get the part more locally. You had asked if there was interest in these parts and in essence, they are showing no interest and explaining why they aren't interested.

I don't think they are trying to discourage you from your project.

It's a long story (and longer thread). Was posted elsewhere on here. You might try a search to see if it is still available. Makes for some interesting reading. But it is (or was) a subject for another thread.

I think that "management" removed all the threads about this subject. At least I can't find any of them anymore. www.zcar.com has (had) some threads also. Those may still be available.

Unless building a hardcore race car where weight is very essential, I wouldn't put all thoses expensive carbon fiber parts on my car - the car would end up looking like... you guessed it rice :sick:

Just my 2 cents

Justin

Parts like the doors, hatch, fenders, etc - are going to the paint shop.

The hood however, will probably 'just' get a couple of layers of clear coat.

I'm building a bad arse Z, that's what I'm building ;)

One set of parts I thought about for the carbon fiber application was all four fenders-replacement skins in the back.

My thought was leave them carbon fiber and work the side markers under them-the turn signal would turn the whole quarter into an indicator(Obviously a "little" more too it) lens, and really smooth out the body work. Even following the same theme through the taillights, a completely smooth body, no breaks in the body lines(other than seams-to make the parts(other than the rear fenders) bolt on, and a "smoothyZ"

Definitely not for the faint of heart, or the stock fans, but an idea I found interesting.

Will

I think an interior with a CF dash, and CF center console would look awsome, and maybe some CF door panels like the WRC rally cars!

Hehe, don't care if anyone thinks it looks ricey, if its true CF, no way it's "rice"!

After sitting inside of a Ferrari Enzo, and looking at an F40, the CF interior is soo damn sexy.

But a CF hood, front fenders, headlight buckets, air dam, doors, that windshield vent piece thing after the hood, rear hatch, and 3 piece spoiler for the exterior would be my dream Z ;)

But i don't think anyone would be able to afford all that!

Ohh.. my dream

Windshield, much lighter than glass.

Seriously, how about designing a CF OVER rusted metal replacement for frame rails, floorboards and battery tray with inner fender. Might take a little more skill than just pulling a mold of existing parts though.

.... :sick:

One set of parts I thought about for the carbon fiber application was all four fenders-replacement skins in the back.

My thought was leave them carbon fiber and work the side markers under them-the turn signal would turn the whole quarter into an indicator(Obviously a "little" more too it) lens, and really smooth out the body work. Even following the same theme through the taillights, a completely smooth body, no breaks in the body lines(other than seams-to make the parts(other than the rear fenders) bolt on, and a "smoothyZ"

Definitely not for the faint of heart, or the stock fans, but an idea I found interesting.

Will

"Bond-onto-the-stock-metal-fenders" CF fenders ? :lick:

Only in the rear(enlarge and rework the rear marker opening, strip the fender to bare metal, and bond them on, the side marker light will glow through the whole panel because of the carbon fiber)!

The front fenders would be direct bolt on replacements(painted silver underneath to match the "over steel" look of the rears after bonding to steel), and have the headlight scoops molded in.

Will

Hey, you asked.

Whats wrong with throwing a CF patch over rusted metal? Think there is no market? What do people pay to cut the car apart and weld in new sheet metal? How many Z's could avoid the boneyard if you applied your resources to develope a cancer cure? Maybe it's gagging you because it's not visible for bragging rights?