IGNORED

Electronic Igniton on 240k

The C110

Hum Michael,

It is different to the unit that comes from either a R30 Skyline or a 280ZX, I have one of each and the terminals are mounted directly on the side of the dizzy. Do you have a Multimeter? It looks like there are three wires on yours? I can probe my ones when I get home on the weekend and see what I get. We could then compare yours.

I'm guessing you need a +ve Supply, relatively heavy cable to go to the -ve side of the coil, earth, but I'm not sure what the 3rd and possible 4th would be? By any chance, did you make notes before removing the unit?

None other than mental notes.

1. Unplug from wiring loom.

2. Undo bolts.

3. Take dizzy.

LOL

I also have the engine loom, the Y70 head, the fuel rail, the injectors and the L20E ECU. ;)

I can try figure out what colour wires go to which pins on the ECU but other than that doing that, I'm at a loss.

However, I'm sure you can see what I mean now about making sure you don' get the one with the screw-on dizzy cap :D

Actually, come to think of it, there was a weird connector on the side of the coil that was unlike anything I'd seen previous, perhaps it all in a roundabout way connects into that... ergh. I'll get a photo of the coil tomorrow for you to take a look.

I'm not sure that it was a ballast resistor, at least not in the form I've seen them before.

EDIT: Oh, and it was a 5speed Manual.

• 2 weeks later...
Agreed, Screw-Ons, Well Suck !

Try and find the wire that goes to the coil. If there is that much of the loom left. Looking back to the ECU is probably going to do your head in !!! Are the Coil Balist Resistors in this configuration? What it an Automatic or Manual?

Steady guys!

The 'screw-on' dizzys are fully electronic optical units. HIGHLY desirable for high-performance motors, as they talk directly to all aftermarket ECU's. You can also fit the Z31 pickup/chopper wheel to get a proper home trigger in addition to the 360+6 setup.

I searched for one of these for ages before getting one from a 280ZXT in the US via e-bay.

I'm sure I could find several buyers for ECCS L-series (C211 Turbo, HR30 Turbo) distributors without too much trouble at all!

Tom,

I traced out the wiring of the dizzy for you. It's pretty simple.

1) The Brown Wire which connects to the PIN in the Dizzy which points away from the dizzy goes to plus 12 volts. And you might even see a marking under the Pin contact that says "B" for battery.

2) The Blue wire which connects the the Pin which is flat to the side of the dizzy goes to the negative side of the coil. You may see a "C" marked under the Pin for Coil.

3) Last but not least, the positive side of the coil to battery. Now depending on how you car is wired, you should be able to use the existing wire from you coil. Just remember, some cars only power their coils with 8 volts because of a "ballast" resistor.

You new electronic dizzy is not going to run well on 8 volts, so you might have to buy another coil that runs without a resistor. And then simply place a short circuit over the resistor, affectively removing it from circuit and giving you 12 volts again.

Note: You could perform this bypass and run with your old coil, and it will work. For a while ! That is, until you coil burns out ! ! !

Regards,

Ah many thanks Bruce! Now i understand all of what you have said, and ive nutted out mostly how to do it, but i have a few questions. Firstly, In the picture below of my current non electronic dizzy, there is obviously a pin on the side that leads to the coil. That is fine. However, my current dizzy only has one pin on its side, thus one wire connected which leads to the coil. My question is what wire am i going to use to plug into the pin that reads 'b' for battery on the new electronic dizzy? Its probably a simple soulotion but i cant see it at the moment. Cheers,

Tom

ps, i have zx dizzy which i think does not carry a ballast resistor as you can see

post-7187-14150794492074_thumb.jpg

post-7187-14150794492422_thumb.jpg

post-7187-14150794492678_thumb.jpg