IGNORED

How much $$ have you spent on your Z ?

daddz

How much $$ have you invested in your Z(s)?  

291 members have voted

1. 1. How much $$ have you invested in your Z(s)?

• Under $1,000
    • $1,000 to $2,000
    • $2,000 to $4,000
    • $4,000 to $8,000
    • $8,000 to $12,000
    • $12,000 to $16,000
    • More than $16,000

All I can say is.....I spent too much, but then again I haven't spent enough!!! I think if I calculated in the cost of labor (my labor) and added it to the price of the parts ($18K) I would likely have a seizure. Down the road a piece, I can see another $4k to $5k for paint and weather seals plus some freshening up inside the door panels (window mechanisms). At that point in time the Z would truely be completed. Of course then (with new paint) I would become a worry wort until the first nick in the paint occurs. My current paint job is 21 years old and looks damn good, all things considered. One guy at the MSA show told me I had a 3 foot paint job....."Looks perfect from 3 feet away". He was also surprised it was 21 years old! My toy has been garaged, when not driving it of coures, since I purchased the car in 1983.

Adjusting for the £/$ exchange rate for me it is roughly as follows

Purchase of 2 cars $8000

purchase of parts ( mostly within the last 2 years) $3500

$11,500 so far. I don't believe I need any more parts for my 1970 car and I will respray it myself but I will need to spend out on door/quarterpanels/wing (fender) repairs on my 72 car. Neither of my cars will be anything like showroom when (if?) they are finished.

I am glad that I have bought all the parts I need for my 1970 car over the past 2 years or so, as prices now seem to be going mad for early parts.

Andrew

In Australian dollars $$$ -

Cost to previous owner:

$4,250 purchase price

$10,500 restoration cost

Cost to me:

$10,500 purchase price (good deal - only paid the restoration costs)

$2,300 - Interior

$1,200 - Suspension

$1,800 - carbs

$1,300 labour on engine (carbs alone!!!)

$1,000 - Head (ported / polished)

$800 - headers/extractors

$600 - various tunes

What does that come to?

Cost to me - approx. $19,500! :stupid:

I should have just driver it "as is"... I could have bought another Z by now!!

Future prediction:

For Sale - 240Z, excellent condition, asking $85,000 (to break even) :laugh:

Boy this is a scary thread. I actually quit counting after I reached over $10,000 in tools, parts, chrome, wheels, glass, bolts, etc.... I did keep the receipts, that's just a big stack of papers right now and it just gets bigger every day! I think after I get my 5K paint job (I don't have a receipt for the paint yet) that I won't have to spend much more. I'm almost done rebuilding everything. I'm actually running out of things to do. I just need my body back.

what would make it really expensive for me would be aftermarket/upgrade stuff which can cost really big money. I am leaving virtually everything standard until i get the cars running and then I will see whether I want to upgrade and if I can afford it.

Oh hell guys. I'm at the "Oh Shite, now I have to buy all this stuff to start my resto". The car is nearly a shell and I have a huge list of parts I need. Parts cost are a killer but the freight from the US to NZ is wicked. There might be something for flying to San Diego, obtaining as many crapped out cars and shoving them all in a container to be shipped back to NZ, at least I could sell the bits I don't need.

The household CFO set the budget and I have blown it out of the water already.......lotto here I come!!