IGNORED

How much $$ have you spent on your Z ?

daddz

How much $$ have you invested in your Z(s)?  

291 members have voted

1. 1. How much $$ have you invested in your Z(s)?

• Under $1,000
    • $1,000 to $2,000
    • $2,000 to $4,000
    • $4,000 to $8,000
    • $8,000 to $12,000
    • $12,000 to $16,000
    • More than $16,000

My wife thinks that I spent enough on the 72 to have "Gone out and bought a brand new car , rather than drive that old one".

She ---could be right, but it would not be as much fun driving a new one.

The bragging rights would also be gone.

There is something special about having a hobby or passion that can be enjoyed by the owner as well as others.

Good thread indeed.

I haven't added all mine up but I'm sure I'm near the $12,000 mark between buying and the work I've done so far.

The motor I'm building is probably gonna end up costing about $4500 on it's own and I won't get to touch the carbs yet LOL or the gearbox.

One day I'll add everything together and faint :) but I prepared myself to go to $35,000 on this car a long time ago :)

I have $1782.50 in the engine for Her Majesty. Around $900 of that was at the machine shop. No serious machine work, just polishing, but the balance was way out and we spent a lot of effort on that. The head work was real simple too. You should see how pretty this engine is.

Sounds good, I'll have to take some pictures when mine get's back from being ported and polished.

I can't wait to get the LD28 crank either I'll be sure to take a few happy snaps. Infact what I'm saying is I'm gonna document the entire build of my engine that's for sure :)

Well after years of trying to pretend that it didn't really cost me to much, I have to own up to the fact that ive spent (All in Aust dollars. $1AU=70centsUS)

$8500 Body and paint and $16000 on suspension, brakes, engine, driveline, engine management,electrical, seats, trim ect ect, So it looks like $24500 at least ($17500US)

and as im a motor mechanic there is no labour charge, exept for body and paint.

Steven

Don't know but I guess somewhere around AU$30000, US$21000, over seven years. About everything has been modified, some of it several times, so its been a development exercise not just a rebuild.

Final major expenditures will be a new turbocharger, CV rear axles and Quaife LSD. Then I'll start on a Q45 engined 280ZX two seat coupe LOL

You may have spent your money more wisely than I have RB30-ZED by the look of things :)

This industry is amazing. By far the guys that I know that live and breathe Datsun restoration struggle to make ends meet, yet I see so many of us spending upwards of $10K or more. I think the better question is what do we spend in what time frame. In 2004 my CC receipts total over $14k alone for my race car. This was a good year and a full restoration on my car. Unfortunately I am not done...probably another 3k to go or so.

The reality is a full restoration on a Z car will cost close to $40k USD if done right, beginning to end, depending on your personal involement. I am surprized that we have not seen these cars start to really escalate in value like some other marques. Parts are getting harder to find....

At the end of the day. It's worth it, it's what I have always wanted and makes me happy just to walk out into the garage and look at her...