IGNORED

Factory restored Z

v12horse

Originally posted by cnixzgo

the restoration program story. My reason: That carpet is not the original style carpet used in the Datsun Restoration Program. or else it would have the holes and serge-bounding for the luggage straps. I believe Classic Datsun out San Diego was one company Nissan used to restore and they supply the original 240 carpet. This carpet looks like a simpel carpet kit from MSA. my 2 cents.

Nick

I purchased a 240Z carpet set from Les at Classic Datsun Motorsports when I visited his shop a couple of years ago. The carpet in the green Z is of the same type and pile sold to me, which Les said was used in the factory restoration cars. Albeit, it not the same as the loop pile of the original carpet of the era, it is of very good quality nevertheless.

Also, you'll notice the seat belts are not original (note red release button), but they are from Nissan. I recall that Courtesy Nissan sold a set on ebay awhile back.

Has it been that long since Nissan did the factory restores??! Man time is going by too quickly! That car is nice but not as nice as I'd expect. Many of the cars you guys here have woud put that thing to shame. IMO. .02

Originally posted by ROOPZ

Has it been that long since Nissan did the factory restores??! Man time is going by too quickly! That car is nice but not as nice as I'd expect. Many of the cars you guys here have woud put that thing to shame. IMO. .02

I agree, there are some members with much greater attention to detail(kats comes to mind) than i've seen on these "factory restored" cars. Not to take away from them however, the job was still very good.

I agree for the most part with what everyone has said here about the

"factory restored" cars. They are very nice, but not as accurate as some Z's that I have seen. Why didn't they use the steel wheels? It seems that Nissan almost built these cars thinking that people would use them as daily drivers because they used modern radiators, paint, and if what is correct on the intermittent wipers that Carl pointed out is true, there is another thing pointing to the daily driver idea. I think if somebody wanted a completely period correct factory restored car without doing the restoration, then they should buy one of these cars, get the steel wheels and caps, change the carpets, hoses, add all the other old goodies, and they would have one helluva nice "factory restored" car. I would hate to see one of these cars become a daily driver and get the dings, chips, and dirtyness that comes with frequent driving.

Ben

Wasn't PierreZ the other shop that Nissan Contracted to to the restos. I rember them closing to the public for a couple of years. Before the did I saw I z in the process of a ground up full restoration. It was perfect. After that I could not get anymore work done at PierreZ. This car is nice but that overspray on the vin tag in the door jam doesn't look very good. And the intermitten wipers were not offered till '73. :devious:

Originally posted by frank13

Wasn't PierreZ the other shop that Nissan Contracted to to the restos. I rember them closing to the public for a couple of years. Before the did I saw I z in the process of a ground up full restoration. It was perfect. After that I could not get anymore work done at PierreZ. This car is nice but that overspray on the vin tag in the door jam doesn't look very good. And the intermitten wipers were not offered till '73. :devious:

PierreZ did our FR 240Z and he did a fantastic job. But honestly, Scott and I both think the 1977 280Z that he and the body man built is in every bit as good (or better) shape then the FR 240Z. Don't get me wrong the 240Z is cherry, but because my husband built his 280Z himself, he went that "extra" step in detail. Plus the 77 280Z is ultra modified (NO V-8) and the bone stock 240Z sitting next to it just looks.........well............so simple. They really are two different cars so it's not fair to compare modified to stock, but you guys know what I'm trying to say, right?

Vicky

I don't know. . . . I just have a gut feeling, based on what I've read both here and on Zhome, that this car and the other one we recently critiqued, are NOT FRP cars. Too many inconsistancies. I realize that they were running out of parts towards the end of the program and that's one of the reasons that it ended. But I think that they could have found 43 sets of correct wheels and hubcaps. There never was a alloy wheel option until 74. Many early 240s had wheels that were installed by the dealer. They simply contracted with the local tire shop to get them. That doesn't make it a 'factory' option and therefore they don't belong on a 'restoration'. Scott and Vicky's car is a documented FRP car. If these opportunists on eBay can't produce the same kind of documentation, then all they selling is a cleaned up 240Z. There wouldn't be overspray on the tag or the lack of luggage straps or wrong seats or wheels etc. if it was a FRP car. Maybe one or two of those things, but not such a long list. I just don't buy it.:ermm:

Remember everyone is entitled to their own opinion, OK?

The people saying that this car isn't a Z Store Resto car are joking right?

I mean:

1. The Factory Resto cars sell for quite a bit less than what they commanded at the dealer.
  2. The cost of new and shiney parts, and body work (even with gaps at doors) is considerable.
  3. Someone went through the effort to counterfeit the Z Store program badges, and documentation shown in the auction page.
    [/list=1]
    ........all to try to sell a car that there is relatively little money to be made on, after sourcing parts, or refurbishing parts to new appearance? (and it *SHOULD* be easy to confirm via VIN if it was in fact part of the program or not).
    Doesn't make sense, or seem plausible to me.
    OK, Get out yer pea shooters, I'm standing here.............
    :cheeky:

Absolutely Carl!

The only true way to prove if this car was a FR production Z is to verify the VIN.. That's what we did. Even though our Z was sitting on the showroom floor with velvet ropes around it. I wanted to be sure that this was not just some superb restoration done by many capable body shops. As soon as we looked the car over, I called PierreZ. All he needed was the VIN and the color, three days later I had my verification of authenticity. Along with all the "Vintage Z" paperwork, documentation, window sticker with "1972" options, etc, I still demanded the shipping letter from Nissan North America to the Nissan dealership in Tampa. I even got a copy of the check that they paid to NNA for the car and shipping charges. My idea was that if you pay that much for a car, ANY CAR, you better be damn sure you're getting the real thing, IMO.

I believe that green Z is true, but it is a sloppy resto compared to the others that I have seen. Maybe the PO wanted to drive it around, as it should be. But I sure as hell would have taken better care of it if I was going to sell it. It's still a beautiful car.

Just my .02 cents

Vicky

I agree, the automatic is less desirable and therefore the car is not as valuable. I don't get the door panels at all. Perhaps the buyer put some speakers in the doors after they bought the car 6 or 7 years ago and then took them out and put some replacement panels in so it was "stock" again..... who knows? The other one that is available that I'm sure you are all familiar with is the Orange '71 (4-speed) at Peak Nissan in the Denver area. As I mentioned on that earlier thread, my son and I went by to take a look at that car. It actually looks better in person than it does in pictures. It is a better specimen than the car we are discussing (even though I like the British Racing Green color better than the orange). Peak Nissan wants $29k for their car. It will be a few years before it will get that kind of money I'm afraid. As I mentioned in that other thread, the owner of Peak doesn't really care if they sell the Z or not because it brings people into their showroom! The only flaw that my son and I could really see was some paint overspray on the chrome on the passenger-side door. The car is behind ropes on the showroom floor, so its kind of hard to get a real close look at it. Maybe another Nissan dealer should buy this one and put it on thir showroom floor. Its certainly has helped Peak's business!!