IGNORED

Help, my car has a mind or its own!!!!

SMUSICMANS

Hey all, I have a 1980 280zx. It is running great sense I put a new fuel pump on it. But it still wants to act up from time to time. I will be driving down the road, and I lose all power in my tact. My rpms just completely drop and the car dies. Now I still have power for my radio, lights and everything else like that. It’s just the rpms that die. I start it back up and it may do it once or twice more, then it runs great. What could be causing this? Like I said, it only happens once and a while.

Thanks

Steve

:stupid: I'm stupid!! What do you mean by electrical plugs??? I have never heard of something like that. Do you mean spark plugs, or fuses or relays? Let me know I’m sorta new with all this mechanical stuff. I looked in my Haynes book and did not find anything with that terminology.

Thanks

Steve

It might also be your ignition switch or the ground on your battery, you might want to check out the negative lead on the fuel pump too. I have kinda the same problem and traced it down to the ground on the battery. I wire brushed the leads from the wire itself and put new battery terminals on the posts. I still have to change my ignition switch though, because mine wont start sometimes and I thought it was the neutral start switch, so I tried starting it in neutral but it still didnt start, (mine is also an automatic), I have to shove the key in as hard as I can to get it to start. :ermm:

I had a very similar problem and turned out to be the thermotime sensor. I'd disconnect it and it would run fine. I think only the FI Zs have thermotime swithches. This was on a 75z. I just bought a 76 Z and I have this problem every now and then with my fusable links making bad contact cause I don't have covers on them. I cleaned them up and it had been running like a champ since!