IGNORED

1970 Engine?

I've read this thread with great interest. I dont have a 69 or 70 but I thought it interesting how much higher my engine # is compared to the VIN #. I suspect its due to the L24 going into other vehicles or maybe they were not all that accurate with the block numbering.

FWIW

Chris

post-5906-14150793920777_thumb.jpg

Hi,

I am also very much interested in this thread.

My L24-005562 has a casting code "E31" then "02121" on the block.

mdbrandy,your casting code "9901F" make me think about"the date of casting" What do you think if it shows "1969 Sep 01 F"

Does it make sence? If my"02121" will be read "0212I"?If so,will it show 1970 Feb 12 I"?

I would like to see more casting codes close to my build date early 1970.

Thank you,

kats

post-3193-1415079392124_thumb.jpg

Kats

You could be onto something there.

My April 1970 has L24 05778 and has O320A. (1970 march 20th?)

Perhaps the code on Lonetreesteve's might give a clear indication on the age of his engine.

regards

Andrew

Originally posted by kats

Hi,

I am also very much interested in this thread.

My L24-005562 has a casting code "E31" then "02121" on the block.

mdbrandy,your casting code "9901F" make me think about"the date of casting" What do you think if it shows "1969 Sep 01 F"

Does it make sence? If my"02121" will be read "0212I"?If so,will it show 1970 Feb 12 I"?

Very interesting thought! I certainly can't verify it, but maybe someone can....or we can collect a bunch of data!

Hi Guys,

Well, I took your advise (and a wire brush!) and found the raised number to the right of the E31 on the driver's side near the bottom of the block and it was "9X04D". I will leave this up for you guys to figure out..... I don't want to speculate, its just tooo strange!

Hi all,

abas Your engine is very near my engine,I was excited about my thought when I saw your reply.

Because japanese people say year and date like this,

"1970- Feb.- 12- sunday"Always year comes first.

But lonetreesteve,your casting code is breaking my thought.

I do have seen a code like yours,it also has X second from the left.But I believe its block is P30.

Thank you

kats

The block is a E31, not a P30. I wonder if the first number "9" is for 1969, the "X" was for 24th letter in the alphabet or 24th day of the month and the "D" is for December for 12/24/69.

Perhaps the high L24 #060039 was like Carl thought: mis-stamped, should have been stamped 006039.

Or the engine was re-stamped at some point in time. I wonder if an early 1972 240Z's original engine blew when it was still under warranty and Datsun replaced it with an "off the shelf" engine. Maybe Datsun had a stash of these '70 engines and didn't assign them numbers until they were ready to ship them to the dealer for a repalcement? Or when the Datsun dealer replaced the engine they stamped the original engine number of the '72.

I'm not sure!! But is certainly is a lot of fun trying to figure this one out!!

These casting numbers allways intrigue me so i'll add this even though mine is a P30 block out of a 1977 260, (Aus delivered) the casting numbers are 7121B.

Using the dating method this would be 1977 Jan 21st.

Surely this would show that you guys aren't too far off with your thinking, and I wonder if this method would help solve some of the other stampings on other parts. Brake and clutch pedals come to mind.

FWIW

Alan P.

• 4 weeks later...

I was reading some of the coments that you have all said..and I thought why not. So this morning i took a look at my block. Now this seems very odd to me becuase the man i bought my 240 from says that this is the origonal engine. Yet there is an E-31 on it and it is a 1972? could have been a replacment, I just don't understand why someone would put an older engine in this car.