IGNORED

77 280Z color wiring diagram

wal280z

You get one Sherlock Holmes autographed miniature magnifiying glass which hopefully will help with whatever eye-strain you developed finding that.

I've been working on colorizing many of the early Z and Roadster diagrams, and can attest to the fact that even from Nissan there were "oopses" and omissions.

I will wear my new mini-mag-glass with care.

Not sure what you consider "early" Z, but I've found a mistake on the factory diagrams for 74 (and maybe 73... don't remember) temp switch wiring. If you're doing anything with those docs, let me know and I'll provide details.

.... and I'll also be merging the thread discussing the errors to this one.

E Scanlon

Ok Z peeps... I've sent E the updated diagram. Please note the change in the file name - it is revision 'G' - 'F' is now obsolete.

Also - I received a PM explaining another possible error:

I did find a problem though... It is not your mistake but this mistake was on the original diagram. In the lower left there are two things labeled...

BCDD Cut Solenoid and...

Magnet Clutch (AC Only)

These two labels are reversed. I traced the circuit just recently and found them to be reversed. Just thought you might be interested.

I did not change the diagram on this account. I don't understand how the BCDD would be wired to the AC solenoid and the AC clutch not be.

I'm putting the info out there in case there is someone else who has found this as well. Of course, with both connections being bullet connectors, one could easily interchange the wires and quite possibly not see a change in performance.

Thank you all for all the kind words on this product - please note any additional errors on it in this thread.

Wayne

Ok Z peeps... I've sent E the updated diagram. Please note the change in the file name - it is revision 'G' - 'F' is now obsolete.

Wayne, Thanks for the effort!

Before this thing makes it to far though, there's something that doesn't look right to me. Seems the font style or weighting has changed between this version and your previous version. For example, take a look at the combination switch matrix and compare that area to the previous version. (Not E's version... that one has a different problem.) Your original one looks great, but the newest version has a font type that is so bold that it blurs one character into another. It's too bold, if that makes sense.

There's a possibility that this is a user specific problem to me, so if it looks fine on your screen, then let me know and I'll send you a screen capture of what I'm talking about.

Also, is there any reference on the document itself that indicates the change in revision? If not, I would recommend that. Doesn't have to be much, but something on the doc and not simply in the file name? Is that possible?

Thanks again for all your help with this!!

Also - I received a PM explaining another possible error:

And... I just checked this, and the private messenger is correct.

The original diagram from the 77 FSM has the magnet clutch connected to the blue wire and the BCDD cut connected to the white/black.

It looks like a simple matter of mislabeled solenoids, because also in the original FSM, the A/C clutch is above the BCDD, and the BCDD is above the thermal transmitter. On your doc, the BCDD is above the A/C clutch. If you leave all the wiring alone and simply swap the labels between the BCDD and A/C clutch, everything will be correct.

• Like 1

I found the blurring problem on the one I edited, for which I'm glad Wayne sent a new file. But in opening the new file, Capt. is correct, the headings and rows on the comb switch as well as many of the labels for the components are now over-bolded and now blurred.

E

And... I just checked this, and the private messenger is correct.

The original diagram from the 77 FSM has the magnet clutch connected to the blue wire and the BCDD cut connected to the white/black.

It looks like a simple matter of mislabeled solenoids, because also in the original FSM, the A/C clutch is above the BCDD, and the BCDD is above the thermal transmitter. On your doc, the BCDD is above the A/C clutch. If you leave all the wiring alone and simply swap the labels between the BCDD and A/C clutch, everything will be correct.

Correct - It was a matter of mistaking what was in the model drawing versus what was actually getting printed. In the model, the labels and wires were correct, however, they were 'flipped' in the paper printing. Thanks for the catch Mr. PrivateMessenger, and the verification Captain!

After 8 years of hibernation, I found that I made a few changes to the color palette as well, so that is now fixed, the 'weighting' of the text is back to normal.

In reference to your suggestion of having a list of revisions, the list would be the size of the drawing itself. With the help of a few others in early 2004 - making changes from 'A' to 'E', and finally published version 'F'. Two quick changes and we are at 'H'. So long as no one else is making changes to it and keeps all comments / suggestions in this thread, everyone can keep track of the changes.

If I do another one, I'll make sure to include the Captain on my team of QC!

Attached is version 'H'

It looks great, and again... Thanks so much! :beer:

As for the revision indicator, I think you misunderstood what I was suggesting. I was not suggesting a list of the changes that have occurred since inception. I was simply suggesting some indicator on the page as to what it's current revision is. Could be something as simple as "Revision H - Created 9/25/2012" in the legend area somewhere. Just so you can tell by looking at the picture itself when it was created or last modified. Just a time or date stamp, not history.

If I do another one, I'll make sure to include the Captain on my team of QC!

Haha! I'd be happy to do what I can. :)

As for the revision indicator, I think you misunderstood what I was suggesting. I was not suggesting a list of the changes that have occurred since inception. I was simply suggesting some indicator on the page as to what it's current revision is. Could be something as simple as "Revision H - Created 9/25/2012" in the legend area somewhere. Just so you can tell by looking at the picture itself when it was created or last modified. Just a time or date stamp, not history.

Yep, I misunderstood you - will do that for the next revision.

• 4 weeks later...

After much tail chasing and confusion, I turned up a mistake on the wiring diagrams for all the fuel injected cars. The problem is in the operation of what they call the "Ignition Relay".

Here's the section of the diagram that shows the ignition relay, but there's a problem:

ignitionrelay1a.jpg

You need to do this:

ignitionrelay1b.jpg

Here's how the drawing should look:

ignitionrelay1c.jpg

And for those of you that haven't glossed over with disinterest yet, here's what the ignition relay is supposed to do:

ignitionrelay1d.jpg