IGNORED

Help to gauge a good price for this '72 240z

wishihada240z

Originally posted by wishihada240z

its a 1972, man the consensus seems pretty solid here, Dont Buy the Car. Anyone on this forum have experience repairing these areas on their zed? I have really no idea what the cost would be at a body shop to have these rust problems fixed.

You need to keep looking. 72's are not worth that kind of money. Yes, I am restoring a Z with similar kind of problems. Back in 2001 I bought a series 1 1971 240-Z. Did not run he wanted $800. I gave him $700 paid a $100 to flat bed it home. It has great body panels, no rusty battery try. The only problem was the floor pans has totally rusted away. It's been sitting while I gather parts, equipment needed to do the job.

I'm not even going to think about the kind of money it would take for you to pay someone els to fix the problem. A good job on the floor pans would be around 2K. Body panels and a good paint job 3K. The rust on the back hatch $$$.

-Brandon

Hi wishihada240z,

Not to beat a dead horse but, with respect to this car, RUN, RUN,RUN and don't ever look back. Trust me, you'll be glad you did.

For the amount of money it will cost you to get this car fixed, you'll be able to get a nice, no...REALLY NICE 240Z. Unless I had a whole lot of experience with body working and painting, I wouldn't even pick up the car for free-with the sole exception of maybe harvesting some parts off of it.

You live in Southern CA according to your profile. I assure you, you'll be able to find better cars than this down there. Even if you're on a budget, the most important assett you have is your PATIENCE. Don't be in a hurry to get that first magical Z. The more you wait, and develope an eye from being exposed to the various cars you look at, the more likely it will be that you will strike upon a good deal and know it when you come across it.

Not to be didactic (overly preachy) but, buying an old Z is definetly not like buying a new car ( yeah, I know obvious). It's not even like buying a "what someone would normally think was a used car". Nope.....you're buying a 30+ year old car that has more than likely had it's keys passed between more than one pair of hands and been cared for by people that might very well think opposite ends of the spectrum with regards to car care and maintenence.

So, take it nice and slow and ask lot's of questions and do even more research and looking. In the long run it will be the best investment you can make and will only make that Z all the more sweeter.

Best Regards,

Landmizzle '72 240Z

Originally posted by Victor Laury

Is McAllen TX far from you?

I found this and it looks sweet

http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/0/2/70480202.htm

What Victor says definately even from the 1 picture.

It's funny though in American 240z's must be easy to come by cause here in Australia there rare as Hen's teeth. $2000 is what you would pay for a car as posted above.

I've seen some crap cars here however and the best examples are worth in some cases $20k.

Back on topic though don't buy that rust bucket get as much of that $900 back.

Wishihada240,

The Z Police have done it again..........saved another brother from waisting him hard earned $$$. Isn't it just the coolest think to have all this expertise on tap??? Good luck and good hunting! Everyone deserves a hand :D

Originally posted by lordbiotree

72's are not worth that kind of money.

I think you're exaggerating the difference between model years. While it's true that early '70 models fetch a premium the other years aren't that bad. Have a look here to see one estimate of the variation between years:

http://www.nadaguides.com

I admit that these numbers seem a bit strange as both '71 and '72 are listed with higher values (at the top end of the condition scale) than '70 models. '73 models are understandably a bit lower.

I would be more concerned about the condition of the car than anything else when determining a fair value.

Through various conversations with Z experts, I was told that the 72 240Z is the best of the 240Z's. Supposedly the transmission is much better(?) We all know what happened to cars in 1973. I guess it can come down to an opinion on the best years. Most insurance companys/collectors recognize the 1970 240Z as the true classic. I like them all as long as they are from 70-78.

Vicky

Originally posted by Zrush

Through various conversations with Z experts, I was told that the 72 240Z is the best of the 240Z's. Supposedly the transmission is much better(?) We all know what happened to cars in 1973. I guess it can come down to an opinion on the best years. Most insurance companys/collectors recognize the 1970 240Z as the true classic. I like them all as long as they are from 70-78.

When I bought my '72 back in '85 72's were considered the most valuable. The reason at that time was simply that they were newer (i.e., with less wear and lower mileage) and benefited from some of the refinements that Nissan introduced along the way. Now that these cars are 30+ years old I wouldn't expect these kinds of differences to matter all that much. In other words, a '72 is not going to have 320,000 miles and a '70 340,000 miles as is typical of late model used cars (10,000 miles a year). Condition is everything at this point. My car has 185,000 miles but on a newly rebuilt engine and was recently appraised as a #2+ car (better than #2 but not quite a #1). I'm quite happy with that appraisal because #1 cars are generally not driven and I plan on enjoying mine.

Another determining factor as far as value in some vintage cars is the availablity of parts. We as Z owners and restorers are quite lucky that we can get true Nissan parts for our Z cars. We have friends with rare vehicles that aren't running/incomplete due to the lack "true" suppliers. Such a shame. As long as we are out there restoring and fixing our Z's, and parts are available, our Z's will only increase in value.

Vicky

I had also heard that the 72's were among the best year of z's to purchase because the motor had a favorable head design. The 70's of course seem like they would fetch the most because they are the VERY first z's. However i don't see why a '71 would fetch so much more than a '72. That 240z in Mcallen Texas looks really nice and the price seems really good also. From the short time ive been reasearching though ive got my mind set on either a 70 or 72 240z in the original white paint with the original motor and tranny. I spoke with the seller of that white '72 last nite and im going to meet up with him in about 2 weeks when im back in texas, 99% chance im not going to buy, but i figured it wouldnt hurt to take a look at it. I'm going to wait patiently and hope a nice condition white 240z with mostly original equipment will pop up somewhere...thanks to everyone for swaying me away from buying this car, ill take your knowledge over mine because i have no experience restoring these wonderful cars

Hi all,

Well, here's my spin on the difference in percieved value of the early 240Z's.

Seems there is two schools of thought. The first school which is concerned with low vin#s will always look to the earliest of the '70 models and go absolutely "gaga" over the '69 registered Z's. Pretty straight forward. The second school looks towards the '72 240Z because it is the most refined. Numerous improvements were made to the Z by '72. Such things as:

Differential relocated.

Retractable lap seat belt.

Seat reclining mechanism changed.

Center cosole changed.

Vibration to the crank fixed.

Though changed doesn't necessarily mean "better", most folks who desire the '72 see it that way. The comprssion ratio was also lowered on the E88 versus the E31 head. Here's an example of changed not being better per say. However, the compression difference is so small as to be basically negligable. There were other small changes also but, I think you'll get the point with the included list.

A side issue is that the early 240Z were soon discoverd to rust even back "in the day". Hence many more '72 240Zs had rust protection put on by the owners and consequently, it appears that these later Z's may have weathered time a little better.

Had the '73's not been plagued with the terrible "flat top" carbs, it's likely they would fall into this 2nd school of thought and be considered desirable.

I personally prefer the '72 myself, mainly for the reason listed. If I had to put my order of prefence in a list it would break down like this.

1) '72; Most refined and consequently nicer to drive.

2) '69 to early '70. Most rare and has the E31 head.

3) '71; Has the E31 head but not much else going for it.

Again, this is just my opiinion, and it is being "nit picky". If I were in the market for a 240Z right now, I would be more than willing to buy any of the above. My primary concern would be condition and rust. No offense to anyone that doesn't own my top choices implied or intended.

Best Regards,

Landmizzle '72 240Z