IGNORED

'73 240Z "Survivor" car

kmack

I'm forwarding this along from one of our Z-Sport club members. He has finally decided to sell this car much to the dismay of a few of us. This is one REALLY nice car! And it is a true "survivor" car. The only mods to this car were done back in '73 and that was to change to '72 carbs.

Here is the link that is mentioned below: www.z-sport.com/phelmerpics.html

If there are any questions, please forward them to Pat Helmer directly.

Hello 240Z Enthusiasts,

Would simply like to let your club members know of the availability of my 1973 Datsun 240Z. I inherited the car from my deceased uncle who was the original purchaser in Alhambra, CA and it remained in CA until I brought to San Antonio, TX.

The car is generally considered by knowledgeable Z people as among the finest near original 240's in the country. It is a multiple 1st place award winner in shows, the most prestigious of which being the NISMO AWARD presented by a Japanese delegation during the 2002 National ZCCA Convention show in recognition of car's originality and overall outstanding condition ( car finished a mere 19 points behind winner in it's division after losing a total of 22 points due to "unprepped" or "dirty" exhaust, suspension, and gas tank filler cap areas---top ranking cars were beautifully and expensively restored)

I can document original purchase, service, etc. with many receipts (engine runs STRONGLY) as well as extensive handwritten record by my uncle. It is from these written notes, as well as from statements from my uncle and his wife prior to both their deaths, that I derive much of the knowledge l have of the car.

I invite interested parties to go to my local Z club website (z-sport.com) for an informative pictorial layout (click on MEMBER'S RIDES and then my name, Pat Helmer).

I intend to be as candid with prospective buyers as my knowledge allows and after almost 3 yrs. of ownership I feel I can answer most questions with confidence.

Car has 139,600 mi., 120,000 of which are believed to be almost exclusively highway. Priced at $12,500.

Thank you,

Lester P. (Pat) Helmer

210-826-4581

bandph@texas.net

Finally. It's nice to see a Z that's at least worthy of the price the gentleman is asking. That's a fine example. I still would inspect it personally as alot can change on a car in 2 years. Very nice car IMO :classic:

Vicky

Pat is one of the nicest, and most straight-forward & honest man I have ever met. And he acquired a little knowledge about Z cars since he ownership of this 240. But he is still somewhat uncomfortable with working on the car itself, so he has most all the maintenance performed by mechanics that know these cars.

I have done some work on this also, specifically:

rebuilding the headlight switch (works perfect now)

cleaning and fixing the chokes on the su's

fixing the choke pull handle

and a check and tune-up of the two fuel pumps (both of which work great)

I can tell you that the console has a small crack in it at the choke pull handle (but what Z doesn't?). It's a minor fix that could be performed quickly.

The paint on this car is in exceptional shape, as the car has been garaged all it's life. To my knowledge, the car has never been repainted. And there is absolutely no rust on this car, I've looked. And I've looked, and I've looked some more!

This car is like looking at a time capsule. I've seen cars at shows that been this nice or nicer, but they were restored. This one has not been touched.

Originally posted by RobertH

It's hard to tell by the PICS, but are those original seat covers?

RobertH

To my knowledge, those are the original seats, untouched! Even the carpet is original.

Send an email to Pat Helmer for further clarification.

I saw this at the Z-Sport car show in March and it is a beautiful car. However, it is not without what appear to be a few mods or non-stock items. I have a few pix on my site here. They are the first 5 pix on this page.

Look at the engine pic, where did the holes in the air box come from? The libra wheels are nice but not stock (wish I had them!). Those who are really sharp when it comes to these cars may find more. The paint may look odd, it's actually considered red by Datsun; Pat and I had a long conversation about this because I thought it was a repaint in some shade of orange.

Very very nice car!!

Originally posted by texasz

Look at the engine pic, where did the holes in the air box come from? The libra wheels are nice but not stock (wish I had them!).

The holes are there because the car still has the stock '73 airbox and they allow the "72 SU's to breathe better. I've seen it on a few other cars. The dealer that made the conversion did this back in late '73 (according to Pat). The libra wheels were also a dealer option at the time.

Now keep in mind, this car is NOT Factory Stock, but it is Stock with Dealer add-ons. There are slight differences.

Originally posted by kmack The libra wheels were also a dealer option at the time.

Yes they were. I had them installed when I bought my 70 back in 1970 at Pomona Valley Datsun. They were purchased through the parts department and installed before I took delivery. They transferred them to my 72 when I bought it. They actually bought my 70 back from me a year and a half later for what I paid for it including the Libras and swapped them for the stock rims and for about 250 bucks more I had a new car! Looking back on it, I really got taken, didn't I!:stupid:

Originally posted by sblake01

Yes they were. I had them installed when I bought my 70 back in 1970 at Pomona Valley Datsun. They were purchased through the parts department and installed before I took delivery. They transferred them to my 72 when I bought it. They actually bought my 70 back from me a year and a half later for what I paid for it including the Libras and swapped them for the stock rims and for about 250 bucks more I had a new car! Looking back on it, I really got taken, didn't I!:stupid:

Stephen

Every time I hear how Datsun was offering to purchase the Z's back from the buyers, it just simply amazes me. To live through that unique time in the history of the Z car must have truly been awsome. I don't believe any other automotive manufacturer has ever done that, no?

Vicky

I had just turned 21 then. I had no idea about the Z phenomenon. After the 72 I didn't own another Z until I bought the 78 in 1997 some 36 years later. The only other car I ever heard of being bought back by the manufacturer was my brother's 1969 (or 70, not sure) Ford Mustang Boss 429. They gave him $1000 more than he paid for it!

Originally posted by kmack

The holes are there because the car still has the stock '73 airbox and they allow the "72 SU's to breathe better. I've seen it on a few other cars. The dealer that made the conversion did this back in late '73 (according to Pat). The libra wheels were also a dealer option at the time.

Now keep in mind, this car is NOT Factory Stock, but it is Stock with Dealer add-ons. There are slight differences.

Interesting, I have only seen one other Z with the holes in the air box like that. I generally knew what they were for, increased air flow, but didn't know how they got there (i.e. who did it) I just figured that the owner did it. I was also not aware that the Libras were a dealer option, I had always thought that they were an after market part. Now I know more than when I woke up this morning. :geek: