IGNORED

Z car Insurance Deal

seerex

I just got mine insured on my existing Allstate policy with an agreed-upon value from an appraiser. All I had to do was fax them the appraisal and I was covered on the spot. There are no driving restrictions other than the fact that I'm getting the <7500 mile a year rate. I think it was about $150 every 6 months but I ended up dropping the comprehensive on my daily driver 1990 240SX at the same time since that car is now worth a small fraction of the 240Z. The net effect is I'll be paying less now for insurance than before. My daily commute is about 15 miles so even if I started driving the Z full time to work I'd still not come close to 7500. As it is I'll only drive it to work occasionally when the weather is nice.

Anyone who's been in the service is eligable for coverage from USAA. Our 2 Z's and car hauler are covered through Hagerty. My 4-Runner is with USAA (Dad was in the Air Force). The 454 Dually and Scott's S-10 are with Geico. All I do is work to pay car insurance LOL

Vicky

Originally posted by TomoHawk

Is there an advantage to having your Zed as a second car on your primary insurance (for the daily driver)?

Probably so; you'd have to ask your insurance agent.

In general you can get a multi-car discount, a safe driver discount, a theft deterent discount, a defensive driving school discount, a low mileage discount, a homeowner's discount, etc. ...

It all adds up but sometimes you need to ask for these discounts. There may well be other advantages to having both cars on the same policy that I can't even think of.

Hagerty is cheap because they are a "Specialty" insurance comapny. They assume that people with show/rare/high-end exotics don't drive their autos in the same manner as they would their everyday beater. People with these type of vehicles tend to be more cautious when driving, making extra sure nothing happens to their car.

Vicky

Originally posted by TomoHawk

the same people have lots of money to afford reinforced ( as in bricks & lumber), enclosed storage.

What's so bad about a steel building, steel garage or modern "pole barn"?

You forgot air-conditioned and carpeted floors LOL

Vicky

Originally posted by Bambikiller240

and I'll have to check out Progressive and Geico when my AAA ins. expires. :( Somebody has to be cheaper than they are! (I hope)

My wife had a friend who worked at AAA. In the late 80's she told my wife that AAA underwriters were so selective (read expensive) that they weren't writing policies for Porsches, BMW's, etc., AT ALL. At that time our rates would have just about doubled had we gone with them. We stayed with State Farm.

Maybe you could tell Hagerty you store your Z down in the basement under your house!ROFL