IGNORED

Original seatbelts for 1970

LEE240ZPERTH

Originally posted by 240 in OZ

This is a picture of the belts that I have installed in my Datsun 1000.

Now this is turning down right interesting. Do the buckles release by push botton? Could that be the reason they were not allowed in Australia? Because the other type has the lift operation - later changed to the push button type.

Very interesting tidbit of early Datsun history!

Hey Lee

No problems, glad to help out.

26th, I think you have hit the nail on the head! The ones seen in my photo are push button type.

Man, you should see the Kagnol ones they put in to replace the original factory ones. The belt fastens using a magnet! How is this safer than the ones Nissan put in??

Regards

Joseph

Originally posted by 26th-Z

Now this is turning down right interesting. Do the buckles release by push botton? Could that be the reason they were not allowed in Australia? Because the other type has the lift operation - later changed to the push button type.

Very interesting tidbit of early Datsun history!

The belts is my 73 are Kangol. Non retracting, with a latch type closure ie not push button.

The center may have had an adhesive logo at some stage.

Reading back through Lee's initial post I realise that the car he had the Z typr buckles in was an early one. Everyone I know (and all posters so far) have cars dated 72 onwards.

It would be interesting to know if someone out there in Australia has a car dated 70 or 71 and it has the Kagnol belts fitted or ones with a Z on the buckle.

Mine is a 71 but the belts have been replaced with newer type non-inertia reel ones.

If anyone out there does have a set with the z on the buckle and wants to trade them for mine which are in great condition please let me know.

Regards

Joseph

Man, you should see the Kagnol ones they put in to replace the original factory ones. The belt fastens using a magnet! How is this safer than the ones Nissan put in??

Regards

Joseph

The magnet may have been a PO modification as all that I have seen just clip together.

Just out of interest the belts in my 77 are retractable with a push release on the side. [still no button].

The Kangol belts where most probably a modification of there lap belts, as to all intents and purpose's there is little difference in design apart from these being a 3 point pount against a lap of 2.

I also seem to remember that around that time ADR [Australian Design Rules] where very primative and mostly none existant. Set belt laws were poiliced on a State by State basis and for a long time belts were not required by law in many states, so the possibility of these cars being inported without belts possibly exists.

Interesting discussion, maybe Alan know more?

MOM

Hey Lee

Thanks for the clarification. Just re-read your initial post and realised that you describe the car with the z logo on the belt buckles as a 70 you use to own.

Please let us know what you are able to find out re your friends cars.

Do your belts secure with the aid of a magnet? I have two sets and both secure with the aid of a magnet on the latch. Maybe there are two styles of belts out there?

Again, offer to swap belts is still out there!

Regards

Joseph

Hey Lee

Thanks for the clarification. Just re-read your initial post and realised that you describe the car with the z logo on the belt buckles as a 70 you use to own.

Please let us know what you are able to find out re your friends cars.

Do your belts secure with the aid of a magnet? I have two sets and both secure with the aid of a magnet on the latch. Maybe there are two styles of belts out there?

Again, offer to swap belts is still out there!

Regards

Joseph

Is there any way you could post a picture of these belts that secure with the aid of a magnet.

I'm a little curious, How do they work or how do you use them. I've only used clip type belts and pull-up style seat belts.

Man the magnet must be strong enough to hold up a bowling ball.

-Brandon

Originally posted by lordbiotree

Man the magnet must be strong enough to hold up a bowling ball.

There's no way a magnet would be used to keep the seat belt locked. I suspect it's just a magnet that keeps it latched - possibly in addition to the typical spring that's used for this purpose on most cars.

Here's one that blows my mind. Any thoughts? I'm looking at a set of early belts ( or so I thought ) with the solid black lift latch buckles - dated 2 - 1972. These are identical to my 9 - 1969 set. Perhaps from a Canada car?

Originally posted by MikeW

There's no way a magnet would be used to keep the seat belt locked. I suspect it's just a magnet that keeps it latched - possibly in addition to the typical spring that's used for this purpose on most cars.

Your quite right, it doesn't keep it locked.

It's amazing that after 30 years of driving these cars, I actually looked at the mechanism last night.

There is no spring either, all that the magent does is to keep the black undo clip in the done-up position. In other words in takes place of a spring. The force of the magnet isn't strong, maybe it's weakened over the years, however if you didn't look for it you would miss it!