IGNORED

GRM 240Z vs 350Z comparo

2ManyZs

Well, you guys have been busy! All I can say after reading all of that is, and it was stated in the preceding posts, you can't come here to a Classic Z site (read S30) and convince anyone of the 'greatness' of the 350Z. Either you like it or you don't. Like anything else. Whether you have driven it or not. (I have) Some responses were well thought out, some were full of emotion. But, to Bill, they are not all driven by 'rich punks', and to threefiftyz, him saying so doesn't make him a 'bozo.' We need that sort of thing even less that we needed this thread!

There were several reasons I bought my 240Z. I was looking for a first car for my son that was exceptional(by that I mean not just a typical beater), fun to drive yet affordable, and simple enough for us both to work on. I accidently stumbled across an add in the Denver paper that had a 240 that I could afford to buy and rebuild before my son turned 16. For various reasons the car was not a good match for him and I ended up taking it back for myself( This was a great plan to get what I had wanted ever since I drove my girlfriend's Z in 1972 and not have the wife absolutely refuse to allow it) and getting him a much safer(to everyone's delight) 2001 Hyundai Tiburon. This relates to this thread because the 240 is still extremely affordable, makes a person feel exceptional(not a whole lot of these rust buckets left), is fun to drive, and easy to work on. Although the 350z is affordable by todays standard, it is definitely not affordable for me(almost no new car is), not easy to work on and modify yourself, and in my mind would not give me a feeling of driving a very exceptional vehicle. And it is kind of satisfying and flattering to have people continually coming up to the car to ask questions and admire it. Although I can appreciate the 350Z as a really nice car, it isn't different enough nor exciting enough for me to feel like I need to go up and ask questions of the owner. So I guess it's just more fun and more attainable for me to own and work on this nostalgic piece of metal than it would be to own that nice piece of technology. But then I was talking to my son just yesterday about how if I had the money, I really wouldn't be very interested in owning a new Ferrari, but that I could really get into buying or restoring an old Dodge challenger or any old muscle car. Plebian tastes I guess. Victor.

:classic:

After reading the previous comments all I can say is if you like it, buy it, otherwise be tolerant of other peoples opinions.

Just some thoughts:

It was because of the many Z Car Clubs across the country and around the world AND Mr K (after the Atlanta convention) that the Z was re-introduced.

The Datsun 240Z is recognized as one of the top ten cars ever built that most influenced the automotive industry.

I don't believe the 350Z will ever obtain official Classic status.

Will be interesting to see how many of the 350z's are still on the road thirty-three years from now.

It was due to the popularity of the 240Z that a new Z was built.

Time is the true test....

The Datsun 240Z is timeless...........................

Ken

Originally posted by hls30.com

Come on now guys, The 350Z does have 4 wheels, an engine, and Nissan Z badges!

Of all of the "sportscars" I test drove recently, not one was memorable. They were all fast, they all handled well, but the were built for any fool to drive fast-they had absolutely no charactor. They were too smooth. They were bland(color does not count) and generic, and had absolutely no individuality. They were built for people who don't really know how to drive. Not one of them commanded respect from a driver-they were engineered to convince any driver into thinking he or she was Nascar capable, while filling up the senses with everything except the exhilleration of driving. Every car I drove was faster than my Z, but not one of them was even close to as exhilerating to drive.

Will

I would agree with all of these statements, except I would say I think that sports cars are where you find them. The srt4 and wrx both are quirky, have character (good or bad), and are quite demanding to drive.

None of these cars would gave that feeling like passing the pack at lemans just driving from stop light to stop light, like the Z does - but they didn't make my ears ring. my eyes water and my clothes smell like a tailpipe either.. :)

I like the 350Z, not in the early 911 (or s30) sense but in the 928 (300zx tt) sense. Its just a different type of car.

Bw

Originally posted by Bambikiller240

So ALL the people who don't respect it haven't driven it? C'mon

This subject has been discussed ad nausium on the 240.org mail list and the consensus of the people there, many of which have driven the car (on the road and/or on the track) is that it is there is nothing "Z" about it either.

It is no conincidence that so many people more knowledgable people on the mail list indicate that after looking at the 350Z, that they'd buy a G35 Coupe instead

I don't have the word ALL in my statement.

Most of the guys that say they want the G35 want the ability to haul around their families. It's not worth it to me.

I'm not really talking about the guys away from this site. They are not in this discussion. I am speaking to all of you. I just don't see how you can form an opinion about something until you've experienced the whole car (unless, of course, you are creating an opinion on appearances or specifications).

I'm serious when I say the car behaves like the old 240. It's ok, I'm not trying to get all of you go rush out and buy one. I just wanted to express my opinions.

Besides, is it really possible to create a classic anymore? Seems to me that car manufacturers cannot do it so they are reaching back and remaking the classics.

Probably a large reason for the owners of the early Zs having such loyalty to those models is that most of us have put in a great deal of our spare time working on these vehicles, and that investment definitely creates a stronger affinity for these particular year models. When you invest a lot of time and effort(by choice) in something, it tends to have more value in your eyes than something you simply go out and buy that doesn't require any blood and sweat. You also tend to become overly emotional when defending these objects and start ascribing ethereal qualities to them. Trying to include the 350z in the same sentence with the 240z is like including Bonds in the same sentence with Ruth. Ruth(240z) has become legend and was a more primitive, natural athlete, while Bonds(350z), a modern technological marvel with his designer steroids is not out of the game yet and thus hasn't had those extra years to have people start ascribing ethereal qualities to him. Those men are strictly products of their own time and there is no way they can be legitimately compared to each other any more than the 240z and 350z. I hope this interesting little attachment that follows works. Victor.

post-2692-14150793751816_thumb.jpg

Originally posted by Mike

I don't have the word ALL in my statement.

Clarification

I know that. Neither did your statement include the word "some" in it. That is "all" my post was trying to point out. :) Even without the word "all", it appeared as a blanket statement

Your statement was, "And, the guys that respect the car have driven it."

That doesn't leave much room for anyone who has driven it to not respect it, does it?

IMO, 350Z ( I have test driven one, last year) is not an Edsel, it's an OK modern car. But, it isn't much different from several others out there on the market. It does not standout from the pack, it is not the revolution that the 240Z was.

(Retired from the Thread)

I Love going to car shows. I walk from car to car and see passion, comitment drive, love. Walk down a Z car show and look and talk Z. The stories you hear of tracking down the NLA part to make his/her baby Z perfect. The owner of the 1985 300ZX in f'n showroom condition tells me his trials in finding new interior parts, as he is not as lucky as the S30 guys who can get all the parts for their cars. Drive, love. A 1982 S130, doted on, loved money poured all though, is no less a classic Z as my 1972 S30.

Do any of you know, how much $$,$$$. it takes to bring a 1998 back to near factory mechanical condition? Oh, My, God! Why would anyone do it? I'll tell you why, Cause they are crazy! The very same Crazy that makes Kats reproduce every little clamp on his vapor tank (that you never see) on his re-patriated HLS30. The Same Crazy we got. Z crazy.

Walk a little further down the show line and your in the 350Z section. Crazy people! commenting and every little detial and comparing notes on this install and that mod. The've bought and brand new car and spent god knows how much, making it as perfect in thier eyes as possible. These people are Crazy. What kind of crazy...?

We pass beater Z's on the road, driven by people who don't give a dam what kind of car it is. We pass new 350Z's driven by people who would not know a 240Z from a toaster. And then, Some crazy nut, in a (S30, S130, Z31, Z32, Z33 your choice), chases you down to give you a thumbs up, and you can see the care they've put into their own car. Be sure to smile at your brother, He's sick just like you.

Originally posted by Ken

I don't believe the 350Z will ever obtain official Classic status.

I'd be careful about saying that, because the 350 has already been called a "classic"!

By TV shows like Motorweek and Sports Car Revolution to name two. I think they are premature just because of how fast (too soon) they said this. :ermm:

Amen to what you said Victor. I was wondering if any of you besides 2manyzs has gotton ahold of the GRM magazine with this comparison in it. I went to the bookstore yesterday and they did not have it. You guys settle down because you may pop a blood vessel.LOL No anurisms aloud(I can't spell).

Ben:classic: