IGNORED

Air dam/bumper

Dan

I didn't get the whole Aero kit as msa calls it just the air dam so i don't now how well the rest of the kit would fit. I should think that all the body parts they sell will require a bit of work to fit just right.

I found a pic of my air dam on member galleries. It's under Mike on the last page of his photos, the pic is called blue Z. It looks to me to be the very same msa air dam i have.

I'll hit three topics here at once.

Mike, the air dam on guy geo's car is available from MSA, it's their urethane air dam. I'd imagine it's pretty much a standard urethane air dam you could get from VB, MSA and a few others. Not sure who makes it though. I think I should know this one, I have two and one very similar on my 280.

meakin, I'm not sure but this web-site has an air dam that looks a lot like Jan's does except the turn signals are in a different location. Take a look at www.lightman.co.uk/mjp/

Perhaps he has sold the air dam or is making it for sale?

The MSA air dam is different from Jans in that it has a much more pronounced bumper detail, looks like a 280 bumper molded in. Also the one on Jans car has more of a lip at the very bottom. I love the way the turn signals are built into his and curve wrap around the side, one like this would probably be a big seller here.

Dan, Thanks, I was just wondering if you had used the side skirts mainly. I have been thinking about putting a set on my 71 when it is done and was just wondering how they attached and how they fit. Hope someone has a set and can tell me if they are a pain to install or not.

I put a couple of pics of my air dam just after i put 280z turn signals on it. The pic aren't real good because of my cheap camera. However you can see what it looks like, they are under Body work and paint

Ok, I did ask to the previous owner.

1. Where did you get the air dam? Motorsportauto in California

2. The installation? It is fiberglass. I used that instead of urehane because it was more rigid. You have to remove the lower front panel and replace it with the air dam.

3. Was it long and difficult? It was quite easy - 1 to 2 hours at most.

Hope it will help you!

:eek:

Well, fiberglass is more rigid but I think the urethane is a better choice. My 72 IT car went head on into an embankment at 70+ mph, totalled the front of the car, right front wheel came all the way back and hit the firewall under the fender and the air dam is still good. Lost a few paint chips but that's all.

Originally posted by 2ManyZs

Well, fiberglass is more rigid but I think the urethane is a better choice. My 72 IT car went head on into an embankment at 70+ mph, totalled the front of the car, right front wheel came all the way back and hit the firewall under the fender and the air dam is still good. Lost a few paint chips but that's all.

2mZ, if that happened to me... I don't think I would care if my airdam was urethane or fibreglass.

Just my opinion.

:finger:

Well Mike, I didn't do it. I purchased a friends race car and all his parts from his widow about a year and a half after the accident. He was going to rebuild the white 72 (in my garage pic) with all the stuff from the IT car and have a hot rod for the street. Unfortunately he never had the chance too, so when I saw his wife was selling all his Z's and parts instead of someone who never met Russ buying them I decided I would bring them home with me. That's why my garage got filled up so quick.:eek:

And one of the reasons I haven't fixed the IT car and gone back racing is because it just wouldn't be as much fun as it used to be with the old gang there.:(