IGNORED

April Fool?

HS30-H

Looks like they have a pretty-much automated response to queries now. I wonder what they will say in the next issue of their magazine.

I can't figure out how they think its all OK just because the car is "not currently for sale". That's a situation that could change at any moment, and at the very least this article could be used as 'proof' or research reference for another car that might be for sale. That's dangerous. Someone could get stung.

Stephen - just to clarify, Works rally cars were built in both RHD and LHD forms. The first ones to be built were RHD - like those entered in the 1970 and 1971 RAC Rally in the UK, and the 1971 and 1972 East African Safari Rally - but many of the drivers and navigators grew up with LHD orientation and grew accustomed to that layout, so preferred LHD for events such as the Monte and other events in countries that drive on the right. However, the drivers ( especially Aaltonen ) asked for the handbrake lever to be re-positioned on the LHD cars........ which is a really good 'acid-test' to discern an LHD "Works" car from a non-Works car.

Cheers,

Alan T.

Originally posted by HS30-H

Stephen - just to clarify, Works rally cars were built in both RHD and LHD forms.

Alan T.

Thanks, Alan. I come here to learn and once again, I have! I had always associated RHD with the rally cars. Interesting that in the letter to Keith, they say "We had some questions ourselves but when we directly asked the director of Nissan Italia, he insisted that this was the car." In the letter to me they say " . . but we didn't have serious doubts until the article had gone to press . . "

Gentlemen,

I replied to Casey Annis yesterday afternoon with a polite offer to assist in any manner with research or documentation about the correct identity of the car in question leaving the door open to further dialog as well as allowing me time to prepare mature, factual information. I figured I better read the article first and soldiered off to my best magazine source to obtain a copy. Well, I can't seem to find the magazine in good 'ole po-dunk Sarasota. You want to talk about opera, we got it. You want to talk about various shades of silver hair coloring, we got it. But historic racecars? No got.

I took a long look at the Vintage Racing Journal website to get a feel for their clientele and what type of publication this might be. I was impressed with their depth of writing staff and I assure you all, their client market is aimed at big buck, investment grade collectors. People who would demand accurate reporting and coverage - similar to the crowd subscribing to Vintage Motorsport, a publication I am most familiar with.

These poor guys have a serious problem on their hands. They have been advised by corporate executives - people who should know - that the car is authentic. The editors are motivated by sales and they are quite eager to publish a story on a car with an agreeably interesting history. The car is also associated with a famous figure in current motor racing history - Jean Todt. (Here is a shot I scanned without permission from Nostalgic Hero Magazine, vol. 96) Try to understand the motivation behind the owners of the car. This concerns me the most. I certainly enjoyed publication of my car in SportZ magazine. My father was really impressed, as was my daughter. But, my point is that the editors of Vintage Racing Journal have very little latitude in this situation. They can't retract the story without incurring the wrath of ranking officials and the wrath of the local Z crowd is miniscule compared to their magazine circulation.

I am in no position to write or forward information about the authentic racecars produced and campaigned by Nissan / Datsun in the early '70s. I can't use Alan's photographs or scans of magazine photographs. I have never seen the actual cars, and no slight to you Alan, have any proof that the real ones are sitting in a storage warehouse in Zama. I have seen enough material in this single thread to write an interesting article about the authentic racers. I seem to have an open dialog at least giving me the opportunity to submit such an article (Chris:

Casey Annis forwarded your reply to his. Thanks for offering to provide information. I hope we will have an opportunity to do justice to this important part of rallying history sometime.

best wishes

Ed McDonough

European Editor), but without further assistance, can do little more than "bitch" about an injustice.

I encourage all of us to approach this situation with mature dignity with an opportunity to do some serious good for our beloved S30s. With permission and collaboration, I will be very pleased to author such an issue.

post-4148-14150793680066_thumb.jpg

The "local Z crowd" ?? LOL

I think he just put a flamethrower on the fire this time... LOL

It is good to have a confirmation that this publisher is chasing the dollar (Pound) more than the historical truth. I think it is also interesting that VRJ mentions that this car 'will not be going for sale' when that's not the point! The point is that this Italian "expert" is insisting that the car is the one, and it isn't. From my familarity with that part of Europe, I can tell you that they probably will not change their story just because some guys from the U.S. are telling them so. After all, they are part of a museam, where they have factual stuff??

Don't worry Christopher, I think I've been quite civil to them in my e-mail. I too have provided some background information - and photos - to illustrate the difference between the real car and the Italian car.

I have also told them that I have a great interest in the subject and a pretty good archive of material relating to it. I asked them to remember this if they need any help to set the record straight on this particular car, or on a future article.

However, having said all that, the fact still remains that they have made a huge faux pas. As the staff of a magazine dedicated to old race cars, they should make themselves familiar with the subject that they are writing about. The dates and events quoted were all over the place, which is plain sloppy. They say that they 'asked Nissan', but that Nissan were no help. One wonders if they made enough effort. It seems obvious to point it out, but these cars were made in Japan. If you want the FULL story, you ask Japan.

I'm sorry but I can't see how the 'wrath' of Nissan Italia could have any implications for a US-based magazine dedicated to the subject of vintage racecars. In my opinion, the Italian gentlemen have made VINTAGE RACECAR Magazine look stupid and inept - so it is they who should be considered the party at major fault. In all other respects, I think the article is just silly. Sad, but silly. Anybody who knows anything about the genuine Works cars would have no problem spotting the fact that this car started life as a standard road car, and has not deviated very far from that spec.

Christopher, I am going to scan the article and e-mail it to you. Unless you see the whole thing you can't really imagine quite what a gaffe has been made.....

Alan T.

Thank you, Alan. I can think of little better than your resources and knowledge to set this issue straight. Your photographs in this thread - as well as many others - have been a great pleasure and education. You look pretty snappy in that racecar! Seems to fit you well. :classic:

What I meant by "local Z crowd" was an understanding of how our interests contribute in part - just in part - to the big picture. The magazine circulates to the Porsche crowd, the Ferrari crowd, the formula car crowd, you get my point. We are simply a "piece" of the action. I agree we want our piece of the action to be depicted accurately, and I was encouraging our responses to be as "professional" as possible so that we are not depicted in a derogatory manner.

I look forward to your e-mail, Alan. I do have a pretty good imagination, but I must see for myself the proportion of this gaffe. They really did stick their foot in their mouth, didn't they? :stupid: