IGNORED

Hatch Vents and Tubes

texasz

Originally posted by 26th-Z

Wow Mark!

I don't have a picture of the C clips. But imagine...without the grill in place (it goes on last), hold the vent assembly in place and aligned with the rectangular holes in the hatch. The C clip "clips" the vent to the hatch on either end - right over the grill pin holes. But the C clip has grill pin holes also, so the grill pin holes line up and you just push the grill into place.

Edit: Actually, I think the C clip arrangement is disasterous and I might suggest glueing the vent to the hatch with silicone seal.

Ah. I think I get it now. It's kind of like the screw clips that clip onto the quarter panels that the Marker light screws go through? Except it clips the hatch metal to the vent assembly...

On glueing - I've attached a closeup of the assemblies that Chloe is getting (pic courtesy Chloe at MidwestZ). It has an attached foam seal that I'm assuming goes up against the inside of the hatch. How would you silicone seal that?

post-4028-14150793590175_thumb.jpg

Originally posted by mwz

Took me awhile, but I was able to dig up this picture of these clips (attached hopefully). This pic is courtesy of another member - Abas. These are believed to be original, from his early 240Z.

Yes! That's about what I was envisioning after Chris tutored me. Now all I have to do is find some...

OK, doing a little digging in the fiche. No clips in evidence that I can see. The vent system seems to be comprised of (per the fiche at least):

Looking at fiche 6-H6/ 121-5, it looks like the vent system has the following parts:

55 90820-E4100 ASSY-DUCT REAR VENTILATOR OUTOR (2)

56 90828-E4101 TUBE-DRAIN (2)

57 08961-43210 NUT-PUSH ON SPRING (4)

63 90950-E4101 GRILLE-REAR VENTILATOR OUTER (2)

64 08530-41620 SCREW - TAPPING M4 (4)

I had attached a picture of the nuts holding one of my grills on, but the other side had a different set of two nuts - hollow, pushon type nuts that might be the 43210 above (pic attached). Might the clips have been a very early method that was dispensed with quickly, and didn't even make the fiche? However, given the fiche picture, how would the duct actually be held onto the inside of the hatch? Arggghh!

post-4028-14150793590645_thumb.jpg

Mark,

If your vent grills have the nuts on them, then there is no way to attach them to the hatch with the vent duct box in place. So it appears that your grills were mounted w/o the duct boxes at some point. You have to attach the duct boxes first and pop the grills into place with the barrel clips. The grills go on last.

Originally posted by kmack

Mark,

If your vent grills have the nuts on them, then there is no way to attach them to the hatch with the vent duct box in place. So it appears that your grills were mounted w/o the duct boxes at some point. You have to attach the duct boxes first and pop the grills into place with the barrel clips. The grills go on last.

Right. As I mentioned, when I dissassembled the car, the vents were already in a box from the PO, and the grills were attached to the hatch with those nuts I show. I have no clips. As you note, I don't see how nuts would work, but the fiche is inconsistent. What fun! :tapemouth

Yea, isn't that bizarre? But where does the tapping screw come into play? With your photograph, Mark, there is no way to screw on the nut because the pins for the grill vents go into the vent duct and there is no way to put the nuts on!!!

I broke the grill pins when I took them apart to paint 26 twelve years ago, and I broke them again this time. There is just no way to get to the back of the grill pins. Perhaps the C clip only clips to the vent duct plate, but one would have to tear the vent duct off to get to the pins. I tell ya, I hate them C clips. Ruined another perfectly good set of grills.

With the tapping screw shown in the fiche, the grill would have the screw head exposed. Not a bad detail, but I don't recall ever seeing it. There is no supeceded part number for the grills in my fiche, making me believe they were always this way.:dead:

Originally posted by 26th-Z

But where does the tapping screw come into play?

With the tapping screw shown in the fiche, the grill would have the screw head exposed. Not a bad detail, but I don't recall ever seeing it. There is no supeceded part number for the grills in my fiche, making me believe they were always this way.:dead:

I have no clue at this point. The screw/nut thing seems to be unworkable, but then why is it on the fiche? Who knows. I suppose even Datsun could make a mistake LOL . Did you see my question about gluing that foam on the vents Chloe has? Don't see how that'll work well with that open cell foam. Be hard to align the vents too, but I suppose that isn't critical.

Does everyone out there with intact series 1 cars have the clips holding things together? I think we need a survey!

I think the spring nut in the fiche is what we have been calling a barrel clip. The clip that fits on the grill pin. Once you push the pin in the hatch body - with the barrel clip / spring nut on the pin - it springs into place. Just like all the rest of the emblem pins.

The more I think about it, it's after five. I'll have another beer, please. Ah yes! The tapping screw would be a good idea as you could take the grill off and get to those damned C clips.

The vent duct box and the vent plate should be bonded together and if I remember Chloe's picture, they come that way bonded with foam.

The only other thing that comes to mind is the way the side marker lights are screwed on to the body with a tapping screw through a C clip / nut. That would work the same way and the screw head would be exposed. I don't recall ever seeing that.