IGNORED

For Interest Only (Toyota 2000GT)

Alfadog

I donno how someone would pay that much for such an ugly looking car! Does anyone know how many where built? And just how rare they are world wide?

Alfadog... What were you doing looking at 200GT's? are you converting???ROFL

Nice condition though! Immaculate!

Cheer'z'

Chris

That car is basically the design that Goertz submitted to Datsun as his concept for the Z. We can all be thankful that Datsun turned it down! I don't know the numbers but not many were produced. They were too costly to compete with the Z. There is a site somewhere for these cars. Search 'Toyota 2000GT' if you're really interested.

Truth be told, Goertz had just as little real input into the Toyota 2000GT as he did with the S30-series Z. He has been credited with penning the A550X ( the Yamaha / Nissan collaboration that Yamaha later showed to Toyota ) but the A550X was nothing more than a reference tool for Toyota when they were putting together their plan for the car that became known as the 2000GT.

Satoru Nozaki was the designer / stylist, Hidemasa Takagi was in charge of engine development, Shinichi Yamazaki was in charge of chassis and suspension development, and Shihomi Hosoya was assistant designer and a very competent development driver. It is Nozaki who should be given credit with the looks / style of the "2000GT", from Yamaha YX122, 280A, 390A, 460A prototypes and 311S racer, through to MF10 and MF12 production cars.

The 2000GT was never really in direct competition with the Z, as it was first put on sale to the general public several years before the Z and hit its peak production well before the Z too. They were two quite different automobiles, with different philosophies behind them.

I've been lucky enough to see many of these cars in Japan, and have even had the opportunity to drive one around the Tsukuba race circuit. The 2000GT was a fantastic car, and would be VERY high on my personal shopping list if I had the kind of money that is required to buy one of them these days. In my experience they are quite often slated by people who have never driven one, and in some cases never even seen one in the metal.

I heartily recommend Shin Yoshikawa's excellent book "Toyota 2000GT", published by KAI, with ISBN number 0-932128-10-6. Hell its more than a book - its a positive bible on these cars.

Alan T.

Excellent response, as usual, Alan T.! I remember reading somewhere how Goertz's design, rejected by Nissan, was somehow connected with the 2000GT. Many years ago, I saw one of those (2000GT) at one of the Los Angeles auto shows. I must have been 17 or 18 at the time which would predate the introduction of the Z. As far as competition, I simply meant that, from what I recall, the 2000GT was priced higher than the Z. I'm not certain if they were ever actually sold in the U.S. I've never seen one on the streets here in Southern California.

I was fortunate enough to see a 2000GT in person as a teenager back in the early 1980s. There was one on long-term display at the Toyota dealership in Waipahu, Hawaii. It wasn’t officially for sale, but I did hear a value in the mid $40,000 (back then) batted around by the salespeople. What really caught my eye was how small and low to the ground it was. I also really liked the detail of the rosewood dash. This was a far cry from the Corollas and alike of the day. :love:

I can only imagine the car was purchased by a rich Japanese businessman and taken back to its homeland.

Yes, back now - but not entirely 'at home', if you know what I mean. I think my body clock is still in another time zone. I keep waking up at 4am.

I'm glad others on here have seen a 2000GT in the metal. They really are quite small and delicate looking.

I'd describe the 2000GT as a Savile Row suit of a car, with an S30-series Z more like my favourite pair of Levi's 501 XX jeans. I'd feel comfortable in either, as long as they fitted the occasion.

Alan T. :classic:

Two summers ago I went to the blackhawk car museum in blackhawk, CA and there was a white 2000gt on display. I remember it very well. It was a beautiful car, and I only knew of their existance through some Z books and that it was on a James Bond flick. I believe the one I saw was a LHD model. I will post some pics of it when I get home. I am not certain, but did Carrol Shelby race the 2000gt or have anything to do with them? I thought he did for some reason.

Great car, and I am glad I saw one in person. Some where in the states there is a 2000gt club. I saw it on the web awhile back.

Take care,

Ben

You hit the nail on the head, Alan. James drove a 2000GT in what Bond movie? His tailor, of course was Savile Row. I truly believe that if Katayama san had brought the GT to America, this would be a different club. Like the difference between the 350Z and the G35 today. The Toyota is a beautiful little car with wonderful performance for its time.

Alan, do you have pictures of the Yamaha prototype to compare to the Toyota? That would be interesting.