IGNORED

Fuel vapor tank

ricksaia

bambikiller, the only way that the tank will not fill completely is if the car is sitting on a steep incline leaning toward the filler neck and the thinner part of the tank is elevated . The amount of air trapped would only be about 1qu. This is on a 240 tank. I dont have knowledge of the configueration of the 280s . All that is being done here , is the air in the tank that is leaving when filling it with fuel, is being sent to the filler neck to the vent provided insted of the vapor tank. And the vent that runs to the front of the car, driver's side to the valve that is below the ballest resister. That vent line is attached to the fuel tank at the port oppisite the one that vents to the filler neck. This allows air to enter the tank as the fuel is removed. Get me a email address and I will send a diagram . I have a picture of my tank but the diagram that shows all the hoses and are numbered is better . I thought it was posted in this thread above. Gary I tried to send you an email but couldent:classic:

I have the line from the tank to the valve on the drivers side under the resistor connected, but the one that connects to the PCV line at the block, and the one that connects to the stock air cleaner are disconected. Is this advisable? I am running duel Webers. Would this be the cause of surging or fuel starvation at high speeds, 75-80. Anything under that speed the cars cruises fine.

PVC is hooked up, but the vacuum lines to and from the valve connected to the fuel tank are disconnected, also the EGR vavlve is disconnected but still present. I bought a new rear fuel filter today from Motorsport, hopefully that might be the problem, also ned to replace the ponts. Will keep everyone updated.

Originally posted by TomoHawk

Is there a picture of the vapor tank? How about one for a 280Z? Should I check my Haynes book?

The fuel injected cars have a 'carbon canister' instead. It is in a couple of pictures in the suppliment section of the Haynes book but they don't really mention it. I couldn't find it on the Z car microfiche but I did find it in my 1979 810 FSM. If you are fortunate enough to have a 280Z FSM it would be covered in there. It's the large round black canister in front of the fuel filter.

Originally posted by sblake01

The fuel injected cars have a 'carbon canister' instead.

Thanks for the info. I've read up on the cannisteras much as possible. Would like to eliminate that too, maybe by installing a vapor tank? I'll only know if there really is a vapor tank or not in my 280Z when I get those plastic panels out from the back.

the haynes book shows the cannister and its hoses, but doesn't say much else.

thx.