IGNORED

Honda Strut Bar/Brace for Z

Go240Zags

Howdy,

I was asked about my comment about buying a Honda strut brace that could be modified for a Z. I can't remember where I first saw the posting on the Honda Strut bar (92-95 Honda Civic Front Strut Brace), someone on some forum said they had just bought one on ebay for their first generation Z and they posted the forum below. You must drill a hole. I havent received mine yet so don't know how easily this is done. But they are cheap. I just hit Buy-It-Now for $7.50 and then shipping was $15 (plus the $2 insurance). I've posted some comments from zcar.com.

http://www.zcar.com/forums/read.php?f=1&i=433913&t=403545#reply_433913

Here's a listing from the place I got mine. You might want to check it out. They sell same, or similar at Schucks, but they're about $38.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33591&item=2459201458

Gary

post-5416-14150793533595_thumb.jpg

A strut bar is a strut bar....

The important thing is that the holes on the ends fit the bolts on the struts and the thing clears the engine while letting you close the hood.

For a few bux, you could make one from stuff at the DIY store (3/4 inch aluminum pipe) that works just as well.

I should add that the mounting holes in the strut bar not just fit, but you gotta make suere that the geometry of the struts is correct before you put the strut bar on. I mean if the struts are leaning in on the top (already flexed!), you should get the out to the right place first. Otherwise the steering might be off and there's no use in using a strut bar on a car with bad steering.

Ok so when they talk about drilling do they mean the strut brace to accomododate for the Z or do they mean drilling into the top of the struts on the Z?

If I have to drill into the 240z body I'm not interested.

Otherwise it's still damn cheap even after shipping to Australia and changing currency.

Should see what ridiculous prices there asking for this equipment in Australia.

For a commodore let alone a ZROFL

This looks very interesting to me, but I'd like to see a picture of the set-up in the car. Does anybody have a pic showing the bar installed on an early Z? The price is right, but the shipping seems a little high. Any other thoughts on this?

Obviously the strut tower braces serve a purpose for keeping your car firm in corners. One for the rear strut towers and one for the fronts. I guess if you're just getting one for show it really doesn't matter how strong it is but if you're looking for strength, don't skimp. Just my .02 cents.

I understand the strength issues. In fact I made the bar I use in the rear of my car. Although it doesn't actually mount on the strut towers themselves, it bolts directly into the body just in front of the rear struts. And it's just as strong.

http://www.geocities.com/vintagericeracing/Harness_Mount.html

But I figure if I can get this Hon-duh bar to work for the front, all the better. I couldn't make one near this cheap! Just trying to find out for sure that it will work. But I tend to trust my eyes before I trust just a few person's words. No offense, GaryZ240.

Howdy Kmack & the rest of Y'All. I went back to the zcar.com site that I linked in my original message and found this picture -- for some reason it didn't seem to load the first couple times I was there. Also, I asked for further info on modifying. From the picture it looks like you drill one hole and one hole that is used on the Honda doesn't get used for the Z. Looks pretty good to me, altho I am no expert. From the setup it appears that it would function just the same and as well as one bought specifically for the Z and as we have all stated, the price is right. Who cares that shipping is $15 (really $17, when they add insurance), it is still less expensive than buying it in the autoparts stores I checked out and considerably less expensive than getting at MSA or any Z-specific bars I've seen listed on ebay.

I rec'd the strut bar yesterday, but haven't had time to do much more than eyeball it and it looks well made. If I mess up on the drilling I guess I'll have my first project for my Community Schools welding class -- Yes, at age 42 I'm going back to take that shop class I should have taken in high school. Boy can ones priorities change.

post-5416-14150793535286_thumb.jpg

Originally posted by GaryZ240

If I mess up on the drilling I guess I'll have my first project for my Community Schools welding class -- Yes, at age 42 I'm going back to take that shop class I should have taken in high school. Boy can ones priorities change.

Thanks for photo, GaryZ240. Looks like it will be something I can use. And don't feel too bad about the welding class. I'm doing the same thing right now and I've been welding for the last 8 years!:stupid:

Just thought of another question: Is this type of bar adjustable? I realized that I have my strut towers slotted on the front to give more camber adjustment. They are slotted about 3/8" max. The bar looks adjustable, but I can't quite tell for sure.