IGNORED

Miata (Mx5) Seats

PerZee

Seat brackets I fabricated for the Miata seats.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]70729[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]70728[/ATTACH]

I did mine in kind of the same manor. I just didn't cut the stock Miata rails and just drilled a third whole to allow for the pin to go into the center. I was hoping for a more rigid seat with all the components secured

post-23912-1415082819987_thumb.jpg

I have been looking at all these seat installs with custom plates and brackets but I find that, although they work, many seem too weak to hold the seat firmly fixed in an accident. As a back of the napkin suggestion, I would try to use at least 3/8" x 3" wide steel plates, and instead of flat bar, try to incorporate angle iron. Of course material size depends on the design of the mount... but whatever the case, you don't want that seat to move; the forces involved in a collision, can be enormous. The seat can't hold you in place if it's going to bend the mounting adapters. They should be strong enough to be able to yank the seat bolts right through the Datsun floor seat frames. They should not be the weakest link. Just my 2c.

Edited by cygnusx1

Dave,

I'm an engineer and I've studied crash survival investigation and ensuring integrity during an accident was of prime concern when designing my seat installation. I'm confident that my S2000 seats are more securely mounted than the original 240z seats. In my case, the adapter plates are made from 11 gauge steel (~1/8" thick) plates, bolted to the vehicle seat mounts in three locations per side where the stock seats are only bolted in two. The 11 gauge steel is much thicker than the Z's seat mounts. Additionally, the inboard fwd seat bolt is actually bolted through the fwd vehicle seat mount cross bar.

post-6478-14150828207888_thumb.jpg

post-6478-14150828207389_thumb.jpg

Though the S2000 seats include a seat belt receiver on the inboard sides of the seats, I removed these. I decided to use the original vehicle seat belt mount locations as I know that the vehicle structure there is designed to withstand the seat belt crash loads. I wasn't comfortable that the vehicle seat mounts would withstand crash loads if they also had to withstand seat belt loads.

During any aftermarket seat install, I would definitely not recommend moving the seat belt mounting locations to the seats.

I have been looking at all these seat installs with custom plates and brackets but I find that, although they work, many seem too weak to hold the seat firmly fixed in an accident. As a back of the napkin suggestion, I would try to use at least 3/8" x 3" wide steel plates, and instead of flat bar, try to incorporate angle iron. Of course material size depends on the design of the mount... but whatever the case, you don't want that seat to move; the forces involved in a collision, can be enormous. The seat can't hold you in place if it's going to bend the mounting adapters. They should be strong enough to be able to yank the seat bolts right through the Datsun floor seat frames. They should not be the weakest link. Just my 2c.

John Coffey inspected my setup when he welded in the Bad Dog frame rails. I wanted him to make any modification necessary if he thought there were unsafe. John took a look at them and told me that they were fine.

The forces you mention are large, but you are assuming that the ensuing momentum of the individual is being imparted into the seat. That's assumption is not entirely correct. The individual will be "thrown" forward until the seat belts lock. It is the seat belts that take most of the force, not the seats, unless it is a rear collision.

Also keep in mind that the stock seats are mounted the same way. The flat bar just extends the mounting point for the front seats. The weakest link, just like the stock seats, would be where the bar bolts to the front mounting location.

Edited by ktm

I'd like to know how you guys delt with that big hump on the bottom of the Miata seat pan that hits the seat mounting bar as you bring the seat forward? Did you just raise the seat enough to clear it? I tried that but found my head hitting the roof.

I had no issue with the bump in the bottom of the seat. I lined up the back bolts into the factory holes on the factory brackets and then made an extended bracket to attach the front mounts to. The seat is able to slide fully forward, well at least as far as needed for anyone small enough to have to be that close, with no issue(s).

OK, that sounds like you just raised the front of the seat and left the back of the seat low, that would keep the height down and the knees a little higher like modern car seats do. That's a better idea then what I did and that's why it didn't work for me.

I have the Integra seats now and really like them but would love to try the s2000 honda seats, don't know how comfy they are but they sure look the part.

• 4 months later...