IGNORED

Stainless steel hard brake and fuel lines vs standard steel hard linesl

jensend

Greetings all,

I am replacing the hard fuel and brake lines front to back on my '73 Z for two reasons:  They don't look as good as everything else which has been recently re-plated, and the flare nuts have all seen better days.  All the hardware, brackets and so forth have been re-plated with clear silver zinc instead of finishing up with the gold zinc step.  I like it because the car is blue and I have a blue and silver motif going on.  I'd like to go with stainless steel hard brake and fuel lines all around for the looks number one, and two, corrosion resistance long term.  Classictube.com who has been around many years makes hard lines either way--stainless or OEM.  I have been advised to stay away from stainless steel because they are too hard to manipulate if need be, and because seating the connections is a bit more tedious.  OEM hard lines will have a more dull steel look which won't look as cool but would be easier to bend.  I know I could re-plate my lines, but again, most of the nuts are fried. 

Anybody out there experienced on this matter and willing to share their thoughts?  I'm ready to go either way.  

Thanks,

Doug

Edited by jensend
mispelled words in title

My intention is to either get OEM lines from classic tube, or stainless steel.  As cool as those look on your car, I don't plan on bending my own.  Anybody with experience with classic tube and using their stainless steel lines and whether stainless is too hard to deal with in terms of minor manipulation and sealing at all the flare nuts in the system?

On 12/8/2017 at 10:45 PM, jensend said:

Greetings all,

I am replacing the hard fuel and brake lines front to back on my '73 Z for two reasons:  They don't look as good as everything else which has been recently re-plated, and the flare nuts have all seen better days.  All the hardware, brackets and so forth have been re-plated with clear silver zinc instead of finishing up with the gold zinc step.  I like it because the car is blue and I have a blue and silver motif going on.  I'd like to go with stainless steel hard brake and fuel lines all around for the looks number one, and two, corrosion resistance long term.  Classictube.com who has been around many years makes hard lines either way--stainless or OEM.  I have been advised to stay away from stainless steel because they are too hard to manipulate if need be, and because seating the connections is a bit more tedious.  OEM hard lines will have a more dull steel look which won't look as cool but would be easier to bend.  I know I could re-plate my lines, but again, most of the nuts are fried. 

Anybody out there experienced on this matter and willing to share their thoughts?  I'm ready to go either way.  

Thanks,

Doug

stainless can crack due to vibration. 

Doug,

I used stainless throughout including the clutch, Its been 5 years with no issues. They still look beautiful. They were harder to bend and flare, but not that much more difficult. I just copied the original bends and lengths when I removed them. If you go with stainless make sure you get the better quality (316). Don't get 304 as it will surface rust.

Jeff

I know that SS lines have been used in the muscle car world for over 10 years and I've never heard of an issue. I can tell you that getting the brake lines to completely seal at the connection take a lot of torque. Other than that I have no complaints. I used SS brake and fuel lines from The Right Stuff on my Road Runner and AAR. I think my brother has them on his '67 Belvedere II.

Chuck

That is pretty much what I used. I will upload a pic if I remember when I get home tonight. Mine was sourced directly from a Parker hydraulic store because I am good friends with one of the counter people. Got a great deal on straight lengths up to 20' if you can transport that long.

9 minutes ago, grannyknot said:

I've read that this SS hard line is one of the easiest to bend but I have no personal experience with it,

http://brakequip.com/products/tubing/

I've bent regular steel lines and thought it was easy but haven't tried SS. The pre-bent SS lines for the RR and 'cuda are bent in half when shipped. They were easy to make straight. They also have to be tweaked to route through/around the frame, etc. and I found that easy to do as well.

Chuck