IGNORED

New key by code in glovebox

siteunseen

I got 2 keys for $10 from a local locksmith just by calling and giving him the code.  Can't believe I haven't done this sooner.

One key now for everything but it won't unlock the doors.  It tries but just won't make it all the way.

Is there any other way to get to the rod that needs to be bent other than removing the door panels?  They've never been off and I hate that kind of meticulous gentle work.  I'm more of a smash and grab kind of guy.  

Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks

9 minutes ago, Jeff G 78 said:

Is it the locks themselves that are worn Cliff?  That's usually the culprit when the key won't quite unlock the doors.  The "D" shaped rod on the lock wears and causes slop.

Hey Jeff!  

I believe it to be a low milage car that had some EFI issues and was parked for many years before I bought it.  The rubber on the pedals look almost new but the paint and the carpet both are faded from baking in the sun.  The new key pops the lock down super easy but coming up it almost makes it then stops, I'm not forcing turning it too much.  I have soaked the door's with WD-40 but haven't tried them today.  Would white lithium be better?  Hopefully I can get them working without removing the door panels. :blush:

I'll read up on the "D" shaped rod, I know there's a lot of info on here.

Thank you.  Cliff

I hate to be the one to bring bad news Cliff,  but I predict you will have to pull the panels to properly correct the un-lock issue.   It really is not bad to do,  the same tool that Zcardepot sells to remove the window winder clip, works great to remove the panels with no damage.   It will also give you a chance to R&R the rest of the door interior, window mechanism etc.

i has this problem on my car. i ended up increasing the bends on the rod, which made it just a bit shorter, lengthening the throw of the lock cylinder arm. you can also use a passenger door cylinder on a drivers door. the passenger side sees less use = less wear. you do have to swap the rod connectors, though

Edited by sweatybetty

30 minutes ago, JSM said:

Are there any sharp edges on the keys? Take one of the new ones on the wire wheel bench grinder. I'm assuming you have a working door key currently?

No, unfortunately the only key was a very uncut ignition key that cranks the car and also pulls out going down the road.  Good DUI defense throwing them out the window flying down a road.  Thank goodness that's not a concern anymore. 

I know a guy with a hardware and paint store that has a key machine.  That's the 1st thing I did was to smooth them like butter, still not working.  The passenger's side is the one that almost makes it.  Tonight I banged the door and it unlocked but  I'd get arrested doing that in public.  Pulling those panels or climbing through the hatch are my choices.  Climbing through the hatch is good for me, I can reach the doors top pretty easy.  I'll do the rod bending after I get the other "top ten" list done.

If my female dog was still alive Id have now worries.  You couldn't get within five feet of her car/truck without a teeth show.  My new boy dog would open the door and crank the car, he's friendly. 

Gotcha.  Luckily I have a local locksmith who knew old datsun locks. I took him a big  box of different locks including ignition and had him make me a full set for $60. I was quite pleased. Then I Screwed it up cause I gave him the wide ignition lock and realized I needed the narrow for the 71 and he redid it over to match the key. 

A: taking the door panels off (safely) is easy when you have the right tool. I made my own from an old putty knife (usually found for about $1)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I1QDXO/ref=s9_acsd_top_hd_bw_b2Jv8_c_x_1_w?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-3&pf_rd_r=0F7VACMJWG5DZ41ZDW01&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=19eb82ac-7329-55fe-a9fa-fa56c65208c0&pf_rd_i=553234

Take it to the bench grinder and cut a v at the edge, takes seconds, now take it to the bench vise and bend the end at 45 degrees.

now insert the knife under the panel, get the v to bottom at the xmas tree...pop!

Works perfectly without destroying the brittle cardboard.

B. If we are talking about the door locks on the 77 and you have to fight with the key to unlock the door...try this.

the lock attaches to the arm that fits in a square hole, fatten up the end that fits in the hole by gluing some vacuum tubing on it, worked for me.

On 12/8/2017 at 4:01 PM, siteunseen said:

...bad news Cliff is my full name. :D

This is what I've used on another car.  I'll look at zcardepot to see if they're similar.

Thanks Jim.

1512770415413.jpg

Is this similar to what you're describing @tzagi1  ?  I've got plenty of putty knives and 5 in 1 tools.

I used that on my d21 pick up doors and it worked on the xmas trees, never heard them called that but damn good description of those.  Thank you for replying

Edited by siteunseen

This tool might work, however it applies pressure on the panel at a very narrow point, a putty knife is over 1 inch wide and distributes the force at a much wider span minimising the (chances of a) tear of the cardboard backing. 

• Like 1