IGNORED

CamTower 12mm bolt torque question

882993md

43A9968A-ADBB-430C-B6C5-71A63DFD340C.jpegHi: 

I found my cam tower bolts on the passenger (higher) side loose. I torqued them to 13 ft lbs. My question is what about the driver side cam tower bolts that share the same space as the head stud bolts? 

I checked and they are tightened very tight. Are the driver side anchoring in the engine block or the head? Should I loosen them and retorque to 11-13 ft lb? Thanks.

Howard

’74 260z

11 hours ago, Lumens said:

They are supposed to be 10 -12 ft lbs. Both long and short ones the same torque.

.......and not a foot pound more. Also, since they are threaded into aluminum, try not to take in and out more than is absolutely necessary or you’ll pull the aluminum threads (requiring installation of threaded inserts).

I’m curious about the shorter bolts that share space with the head studs. Why have them at all if the head stud is torqued to 60 lb/ft on that side? 

Possibly to keep the cam bearing in place if you pull off the head is my  guess??

Howard

6 minutes ago, rcb280z said:

My question is, why were they loose? Was there some recent engine work? I've never known them to loosen on their own.

It has an N42 head so someone (before I bought it) forgot to tighten the bolts after the head swap as all were hand loose. 

Howard

Edited by 882993md