IGNORED

Facebook vs Forums

JSM

Seems all I hear lately is how great FB and how Forums are dead, So I joined one. Posted a question and got mostly poor advice and straight out junk. Now the response was fast, but as far as level of accuracy, terrible. 

What have you all experienced?

One thing I hate is the for sale section of parts on FB. You scroll forever and I have to see all this crap that just blinds you. Maybe there is a setting to block all that so all I see is line items, no comments and no pics. 

FB as you have experienced, is a very poor place for sharing or getting technical information. Search is terrible, the experience level is poor. Try to find something you saw yesterday. Total crap. There are a few of us experienced guys who are trying to provide some level of real help. 

What is powerful is the number of people who are on there. If you have something to sell, or need something, you are more likely to find what you need more quickly.

Also there a variety of Datsun forums, not just Z's. It is a more inclusive community as there is more and more people with more than one type of Datsun.

Another reality we more mature types won't like is that if we want to continue to attract the young, then we have to be able to cater to them in a way they like. And it sure isn't via our beloved Forum.... I have tried to suggest that anything and everything anyone needs for tech help can be found here but have you noticed a huge increase in membership here? I don't think so.

Edited by zKars

Facebook has its purpose, I suppose.  It's a great place to share what you have been doing with your friends.  I don't see its relevance to discussing technical information or any sort of ongoing, one-on conversation like you get on the forums.  I think the percentage of misinformation on a forum is MUCH lower than a media platform like Facebook.  I remember when this whole thing was done by e-mail...

I share the experiences and impressions above. Facebook has decimated some of the on-line forums, but thankfully this one seems to be doing pretty well in face of the changing of the guard. I attribute that to the quality of people here. This IS my social media.  :)

I know at least one younger Z owner local to me who is on this forum and he spends more time on facebook and youtube. He's suggested that I become more active on the facebook forums, and he also suggests that I make videos and post them up on youtube.

Hard to do those things with a flip-phone and a Polaroid camera.    :o

Not sure how it's gonna turn out in ten years.

"Get off my lawn!!!"

23 minutes ago, Dave WM said:

I assume to use face book you need to create an account, for me not gonna happen. so you need a fancy phone for that? I am clueless on that stuff, prob why I like the tech of a 40+ year old car.

"Get off my lawn!!!!!"

I use a made up name. :) 

2 hours ago, zKars said:

Another reality we more mature types won't like is that if we want to continue to attract the young, then we have to be able to cater to them in a way they like. And it sure isn't via our beloved Forum.... I have tried to suggest that anything and everything anyone needs for tech help can be found here but have you noticed a huge increase in membership here? I don't think so.

That's the hard part for me.  Was looking for a reasonable responsible for a Z31 question on the AAC valve.  One person was like I just delete crap like that.  I was like, how, what, wait,  you know what this thing does, etc., Crickets.

The young seem to want to help, but have no clue what they are talking about. 

5 hours ago, JSM said:

I use a made up name.

I did that too. Way back many moons ago before things got security tightened I had an account for Heim Nassole. I even found some family there.

But in the past year or so I deleted that old acct and went legit because I actually wanted to try to use the facebook. But get this... Now that I've deleted the old fake name acct and created a legit one, my account gets locked about every two weeks or so "because they detect suspicious activity".

What suspicious activity? I haven't even logged in for two weeks??? I have to send them a picture of me, or a copy of my ID about twice a month, and there's no way to contact them. Their user forum is the only "help". I started a topic there with the details, and got no response. Nobody read it, nobody responded. Nothing. Waste of time.

It's really taking what little joy there was out of it.    :angry2: