IGNORED

Series I cars

Patcon

I just bought an early car out of a salvage auction in Miami. It's always a little bit of a gamble when you do that. The car appears to have been recently painted so I took a chance they didn't spend money for paint on a rusty pig. Well guess what?! They painted a rusty pig!!!! It's number 7848...the lowest number I've ever owned. Now I need to decide what to do with it. I really don't want another huge project right now. I am also trying to figure out which of the early parts are missing.

I know the following:

Vented hatch and vertical defroster glass is missing

Early steering wheel is missing

20 mph speedo is there

No badges on the qtrs - missing

Center console may be wrong too

What else would be on an early car?

I searched the forum and got 322 pages of hits. Went through 3 pages of results before giving up

and used google to try to find the answer too

• Like 1

Congrats on your purchase of rusty bacon. 

Must be the moon's position with Uranus rising or something, early cars are popping up all ova da' place! First I find 3798, then you dig up 7848.  Then the suspiciously light and flexible remains of 2744 followed me home yesterday. It's strickly a parts car (don't even THINK about this body...) but it may have some things you're missing that I don't need for 3798. Keep in touch. 

1 hour ago, Namerow said:

Here's my list of items that changed from Series 1 to Series 2...

image.png

I like "chassis" and "engine" in particular...

When it comes down to it, doesn't this kind of question point to the fact that "Series One" and "Series Two" are fairly nebulous terms, coined well after the fact in an attempt to line up a set of ducks? A set of ducks that Nissan themselves didn't really make much attempt to line up?

There always seem to be anomalies and exceptions to the rule, and the 'Series' terms certainly don't seem to work accurately on Japanese domestic market cars or indeed any non-North American market car.

The one big difference where a line can be drawn - on a car-by-car basis - is the change from non-vented quarter and vented tailgate to vented quarter and non-vented tailgate. Many of the other small detail differences did not change as part of one single step, so how can the 'Series' terms be applied to them? 

I would think that most of us that have been around the early cars understands the term is used loosely. It is not definitive in most changes over the years. Sort of like is it 71 or 72 because that is what the title says it is because of what the build date is? For me I like to know the build date because gives you a good place to start. My $0.02.

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

2 hours ago, Patcon said:

Wow!!! That is quite the list. Much more extensive than I expected

I am an incurable keeper of notes and lists.  When I bought my 70 Z a few years back and starting researching my 'refresh-toration' project, I started to keep track of all the big and little and obscure changes that I found others had discovered over the years.  The list I've ended up with is longer than what I've seen others publish.  But I think everything on my list is verifiable.  And I may have missed several items, too.

Do the differences really matter?  Let the market speak, I say.