IGNORED

1st long trip in 75 280z 400+ one day

Dave WM

The plan is to drive to pike's peak, from central Florida next year. On to Mt. Rushmore after that. But wanted at least a trial run much shorter just to see how the car (and I) would hold up with lots of continuous hours. So a run from central Florida to central Alabama was in order (family visit). I decided to stay off the interstates, frankly the white knuckle traffic on I-75 in a car that small makes me nervous. So I took some very nice lightly traveled but still 4 land divided (US 27 and US 19) roads. This lets you drive 65 mph with hardly a car in sight. This seems to be right in the Datsuns sweet spot, esp with the 4 speed, and even though it took a couple extra hours it was much more relaxing and I was less frazzeled by the end of the trip. Found a ethonal free station mid trip so gas was not a problem. Temps were cool most of trip (upper 50's to lower 70's) so I did not have to use the AC much (Florida afternoon was the only time, maybe 100 miles). Car ran fine temps never got over the "E" (I have the 170f nissan thermostat), avg about 24mph going about 60-65 most of the way. I was happy with the long time in the seat, even though they are crude by todays standards they were comfortable, by the end of the trip wiht 9hrs I was still feeling like I could go another 4 easy. I still have some things to do, I noticed a slight wobble when applying brakes I assume warped disc, still need to finish seats (only did the bottom have foam and back to do), replace soft brake lines (not leaking or dry rotted but I have no idea how old they are), get the rad rodded out (some build up in it) as the trip will be in the summer. Besides that just make some more trips, hope to go to N Ga next to get some hill driving time in.

Edited by Dave WM
  • Like 1

still have the 4 speed in, I have to reassemble the 5 speed one more time (last time I just slapped together to test with no sealant). The plan is to put it in and see if the noise is gone, if not I will try the other 5 speed (late JY pull). For this trip 5th would prob not even be used, since I don't think I will get in it unless I am going 70+. For the Pikes peak I think I will def need the 5 speed for when I am out on those really long interstates. I am still planning the next Ga trip, prob early Dec this year, last year I was almost ready to go before all those terrible fires that hit NGa and Tn.

I am debating on trying to find non interstates for Pikes peak, really just want a low traffic trip.

Two 5-speeds;  how posh. For those of us in the Heartland, where old cars in a junkyard are but a fond memory, this is called an embarrassment of riches, for that overdrive gear can be put to very good use in a Z. It allows one to take good advantage of the six's easy availability of good low-speed torque that makes relaxed cruising, without stress, between 2 and 3K rpm in any situation. Around town, I am fond of 2K and skip-shifting to get around. There is nothing like an inline 6.

20 hours ago, Dave WM said:

still have the 4 speed in, I have to reassemble the 5 speed one more time (last time I just slapped together to test with no sealant). The plan is to put it in and see if the noise is gone, if not I will try the other 5 speed (late JY pull). For this trip 5th would prob not even be used, since I don't think I will get in it unless I am going 70+. For the Pikes peak I think I will def need the 5 speed for when I am out on those really long interstates. I am still planning the next Ga trip, prob early Dec this year, last year I was almost ready to go before all those terrible fires that hit NGa and Tn.

I am debating on trying to find non interstates for Pikes peak, really just want a low traffic trip.

Where in Georgia are you planning on visiting? Fellow Z people are always welcome to drop by to visit.

47 minutes ago, Dave WM said:

The plan it to go to Phenix City, (family) then go up towards Elijay for a scenic run. Maybe as soon as Tday.

need a destination, like a nice BBQ joint around that area to take Dad to.

@gwri8 and @Redwing are west of Elijay.

For BBQ in Elijay, look up Walker's Fried Pies and BBQ. My wife and I liked that place.